want to mod my 1975 Monark 1436 Jon Boat.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman342

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to this forum and just purchased a 1975 Monark jon boat. It is 14' long and 36" across at the bottom and 55" at the top. I took it out the day after I bought it and didn't really see any water leaking in. I am 6'1 265lbs and I stood up in the boat and leaned from side to side. It moved of course, especially with a guy of my size, but I never really felt like I was going to flip over. I caught a 5lb 3oz bass that day and had to lean over the side to land him without even thinking and never felt like i was going to flip. So that is a good thing, because I was worried about how stable it was going to be. I am thinking of putting a wooded floor on the bottom of the boat to help with walking around and sound proofing it a little. I was thinking of also putting in some storage and maybe a raised deck. I would use marine grade plywood but instead of wooden studs, which would add a lot of weight, I would use 1 1/2" aluminum angle or something like that. Something strong and lightweight. I have seen one monark on here, from baptistpreacher (i think that was his name lol...) it was amazing. I would love to find out how stable it is now that he added all that extra weight and a higher deck. If anyone has any helpful tips or ideas please let me know, I am open to anything. All I know right now is, that I am going to strip it down to bare aluminum, and most likely rerivet the entire boat, and paint it. I know I said it wasn't leaking but I would like to do some river fishing and don't want to take any chances. I will post pictures here shortly of my new project.

Latest posts