Has anybody here done conversions on a aluminum run-about?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hello all;
Not being satisfied with my 14' Sea King shallow V partial conversion, I have decided to go wider & deeper with slightly more HP. I am currently looking at an old 14' Starcraft aluminum runabout (v hull). It has the typical plexiglass windshield & covered bow (also aluminum) with a 35 hp Evinrude that needs the wiring harness re-done. Pulley & cable style steering, & seats are junk etc.. Anyway, the guy is asking $200.00 for boat (I probably can get it for $150.00-$175.00 cash), motor & trailer. MY QUESTIONS ARE THIS: Can you remove the aluminum cover over the bow or substitute it with a wood casting deck? :?: I was wondering about structural integrity. Has anybody hear ever attempted it & were they successful?
Thanks in advance.

Those bow covers are structural.You could remove it and deck the front,but you will be to high above the water to reach fish.I would leave the front,clean out the rear and deck the rear.Maybe make the deck convertable where you can remove a center section,seat cushions around the sides and floor, and take people out cruising.

I have a 1986 starcraft runabout which had the covered bow and windshield. I took the winshield out and cut 18 inches into the covered part of the bow and then added several pieces of wood under the covered section and now the deck is strong enough to stand on.

Attachments

• boat3.JPG
    boat3.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 553
alright so its pretty easy to take part of the cover off. I started by taking the windshield off, it was held on by some screws and bolts. Then I disconnected all the electronics, fishfinder, fuse panel, toggle switches etc. Then i cut out the board on either side and pulled it out along with the pulley steering. Then I used a circular saw and just cut out as much as I needed 18 inches forward and left 7 inches on each side. I used plywood to go on the edges but I'm sure theres a better way to block the edges. Then I just put some wood under neath to brace it.

Attachments

• DSC_0408.JPG
    DSC_0408.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_0411.JPG
    DSC_0411.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_0417.JPG
    DSC_0417.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_0419.JPG
    DSC_0419.JPG