welding up aluminum cracks?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltimber

Reaction score
I've got a boat(welded) that has some short cracks in the rib flanges in bottom of the boat. I've had these welded up. I am curious to know if anyone else has had this done, and if it was a successful permanent fix? I have been told by a few that it would most likely crack beside the new weld. Good boat, and not abused, just used. I have not seen any blemishes on the bottom of the boat, and I know of nothing that I have hit. Just trying to find a cure/answer to this problem. Cracks were found when I took the aluminum floor out for repainting and replacing foam. As always, thanks in advance. tt

I often wonder if mine has any cracks under the floor deck.
Some brands(probably all)have welding problems,right from the factory.
Did the factory welds look bad to you?
I think you should be okay with your new welds.
Welcome to the site.
What type boat do you have...and I don't want to bash,just wondering.
Any pictures?

No pics.
The boat is a '94 Generation III 1756. That company became G3 in '98. The closest thing to it in their line-up now is the 1756 WOF. Mine was a commercial model, no hp rating or warranty from the factory. The difference between it and the WOF model is that instead of just a small deck/seat in front, mine has a factory short deck on it that is within two inches or so of being the same elevation as the front "V" portion of the front end. It extends back 3.5' or so. It has a side console w/50hp, wide open floor plan.
The cracks were staggered in the center area of the boat, with four or five ribs affected. Mostly were very short cracks in the rib flanges, two ribs had the cracks venturing up the side of the rib. None were over the top or affecting the entire cross section of rib. The bench seat flanges were cracked in the bend, where it contacts the side of the boat as well, both ends.
I inspected this boat from underneath before I bought it, and the paint was not even chipped. It didn't look like it had even been pulled up on gravel. Since I've had it, no really hard hits, other than the occasional whop on a wake/wave. I have not had any heavy weights (commercial tanks, etc.) in the floor of it, but can't speak for original owner.
One opinion was that I needed two more bunks on trailer(to support center of the boat), but this boat doesn't have anything in it. Just the boat, console, battery at rear of deck, TM, etc.
Factory welds looked good. The cracks were in unwelded areas, or at the ends of factory welds.

Several views, few posts. I'm wondering if there has been very many people that have had this done? Maybe not too many...

Get some aluminum and reinforce the ribs. YOu can cut the metal with a saber saw and grinder and get it to size and then have the welder do their job.

If you need someone to weld it and cant afford the normal shop rates or they are high, go to the welding suppliers and ask who does aluminum on the side.

I found a guy that works for cash at $20.00 an hour, I always give him $40.00 no matter how little. Beats normal shop rates

John

There's more damage to the rib. The crack, well, yes it's cracked, but not over the top of the rib like that one is. The worst one I have is about 1/2 way up the side of the rib. I got in touch with G3 and they were pretty wishy-washy on their opinion of whether the welds would hold. I guess I can't blame them, liability and all.

The places there are cracks at the end of the welds are caused by how the weld was terminated.Your boat has probably seen some rough usage even though it doesn't show.Its hard to say without actually seeing but I would just get the cracks welded up & you'll be fine.

Would mind explaining what you mean by "how the weld was terminated"? I weld a little for myself, but not aluminum. I end up with bigger holes than I started with. :mrgreen:

Aluminum cracks if when your welding you get to the end of your weld & you don't back up on where you just welded an inch or so & slowly come off heat.I also try to leave a little bigger weld right at an end.

Latest posts