Remote steering questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCabMax

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a console to my boat project. How do i go about adding the steering?? What all is needed? I'll be starting from scratch, and never had a boat with a console, so i'm not sure how it works. How do i know what i need? I've found a couple of motors that come with controls, but nothing as far as steering. Is it all universal?? Hydroulic? Sorry for all the questions, i just really do not know. If someone could post up some pics of there added consoles and steering setups, i would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks! :lol:

This is a difficult question to anwser without knowing what motor you will be using.The easiest way is to purchase a motor with controls and gauges.That will sometimes include the steering.Most motors use telflex cable steering and those can usually be found on ebay fairly easily.If this is your first time doing this,stay away from one off systems.

The steering systems are fairly generic but there are different attachments at the motor. It just depends on the motor you wind up with.

You will need to mount the motor and measure your length to the console and purchase the appropriate length steering cables.

There should be directions online for measuring and installation.

i think ben2go is talking about used cables off off of other boats. i my be wrong but that is what i would do.

caveman said:
i think ben2go is talking about used cables off off of other boats. i my be wrong but that is what i would do.

Close.Some people rig motors will cables and pulleys like the old boats form the early part of the last century.They can be dangerous and a pain to rig.

Latest posts