1860G3cc Deck Extension ideas help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a 1860 G3 center console boat and I'm looking to extend the deck and make some storage. The storage in these boats is virtually non existent, except for the cutout in the vertical support for the front deck that lets you stuff things under the deck. There is basically only room for life jackets in there. The new G3 models address this problem very nicely by adding a deck extension with two large storage compartments. (see picture)
Thumb_Overhead2.jpg

I'm hoping to add an extension to my deck similar to the G3 one. I'm considering doing it with marine plywood simply because I am pretty good with wood working. I would love to do it out of aluminum if I could find a way to do it somewhat cheap. I cannot weld aluminum so I would like to be able to do it with minimum welding so I can do most the labor and keep price down.

Anyone have any pictures or ideas on the easiest way to do this? Basically just need a 16" deep gun box with two lids that spans the width of the boat.

Thanks

Also, I contacted G3 about possibly ordering a deck extension like the current models and they do not offer this as an add on feature. However, they do offer this (image) deck extension for $300. Its a pretty good deal, especially since it will be factory consistent with my boat. The only problem is the little opening hatch in the deal makes it basically worthless to me since I won't be able to fit in guns through the small opening. In the newer models I could at least remove the plastic storage bins and have one big compartment and fit guns in it.
1756SCOverhead.jpg

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

Great boat man! Love those CC's.

What you could possibly do is a straight 2x4 rectangle frame covered with regular plywood, poly'd and then painted with spray liner or carpet?

I personally would fork over the $300. :mrgreen: I'm useless with my hands.

Yea, I think as far as a wood frame goes, I was thinking one plywood vertical support, one 2x4 attached horizontally across the front deck support, and a piece of plywood for top (roughly). I've built several other decks on other boats out of wood that worked fine. This is my first "nice" boat though and so I'd love to make it look more factory and do it with aluminum. Only thing is, I haven't done much aluminum work so I was hoping to see if anyone had done something similar to this before. I found several posts of people extending out decks with aluminum, but not making storage hatches etc so I figured i'd ask.

That G3 extension is great, but man it would be hard to reach stuff that is shoved over to the side once you put it in there, and of course couldn't fit any guns. I use this boat as a water taxi to bring gear/people/pirogues to and from hunting spots.

Latest posts