Lifting motor off of Transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Here in a few weeks, I'm planning on getting a jackplate for my boat and installing it myself(with help from a friend). Just wondering what the easiest way is to lift my motor(90 hp Yamaha) from my transom to be able to get in to install the jackplate? I know some people say a cherry picker(Engine Hoist), but I don't have one of those. Also going to try to find a good sturdy low-hanging tree limb.....but in the mean time, I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions. Keep in mind, I don't need to take it all the way off, just raise it up(and back) enough to be able to install the 3 1/2" jackplate. Any suggestions?

If I ever decide to change the mounting on mine, I'll probably use a comalong and a big tree limb. I've heard that it is best to leave the battery hooked up so that you can use the tilt/trim to help line things back up.

You know that your G3 hull warranty will be voided after you install that jackplate....

Quackrstackr said:
You know that your G3 hull warranty will be voided after you install that jackplate....

Mine is an 03'.....It wasn't until 04' they started the lifetime warranty. My 5yr warranty has already ran out anyway.

Bubba said:
Quackrstackr said:

Mine is an 03'.....It wasn't until 04' they started the lifetime warranty. My 5yr warranty has already ran out anyway.

I'm sure you probably already have, but in case you haven't... I would do some research on mounting a jp to G3. Seems like I read out there somewhere that they had transom issues that caused some buckling after jp installation on some of those hulls.

That cantilevers quite a bit of weight and additional force back there.

Quackrstackr said:
Bubba said:
Quackrstackr said:

I'm sure you probably already have, but in case you haven't... I would do some research on mounting a jp to G3. Seems like I read out there somewhere that they had transom issues that caused some buckling after jp installation on some of those hulls.

That cantilevers quite a bit of weight and additional force back there.

Yeah, I've been working on my research. Only one person i've been able to find that actually had issues, and i'm in the process of trying to contact him. And that boat was the HP200 with a 200HPDI on it as well, so your looking at 200+ more pounds of motor, and a heck of alot more force as well.

ben2go said:
Come along and big tree.Used that to lift all kinds of stuff,even a truck.

My wife calls it a redneck hoist.

Attachments

• 2009_07117-11-090001.JPG
    2009_07117-11-090001.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 600
Wish you were closer and I'd let you use my engine hoist. I do agree with leaving the battery connected. I raised my motor this week and it was much easier to use the trim to realign the motor to the transom.

That pic is great with the entire boat hanging in the tree.

Tom

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like i'm gonna have to find a big low hanging branch.... :-k

If you or a friend has a truck with a ladder rack you just put a 4x4 on top of it . I have did it that way before.

You have an overhead deck? We have a 3 foot deck cantilevered off the side of the house, that happens to be directly over the two doors for the shop (we lucked out - our shop is 14 feet high inside, with a 12 foot, and a 7 foot high roll up door). The floor joists of the deck are sistered into the floor joists of the house (on 12 inch centers). 2 8 foot 2 x 12s sistered together, sitting on top of the deck makes a great beam to attach a hoist to. There is a 6 x 6 section of deck board, with a removable plug, so the chain fall can be attached to the beam. Even when lifting heavier items, such as a small block V8 (about 800 pounds), each joist is only holding about 100 pounds, as it is spread over 8 joists. And, because the shop door is down there, the beam is up against the edge of the house, and the work is just half in, half out of the shop, so the load isn't cantilevered out more than 4 inches. We made it for use in one project that we needed a hoist for immediately, but it has worked so well, it hasn't been removed.

Don't have an overhead deck anywhere on the property do ya?

bassboy1 said:
Don't have an overhead deck anywhere on the property do ya?

No, Unfortunetly don't have anything like that. I'm probably just gonna have to find either a low hanging branch, or figure out some way to rig up a beam setup like that someway.

What about someone at your church or at work? Would they have a hoist? Does Auto Zone or one of the other parts places rent 'em? I know they have a number of tools for hire but I don't know if an engine hoist is one of them...

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Watch craigslist for a swing set.

Shoot, school won't start for another week or so. You still have time to run down to the Primary School playground..... :D :D

Latest posts