Just got my first boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt112485

Reaction score
Howdy,

My name is Matt, I live in Stillwater OK. I just bought my first jon boat and found you guys through a youtube video of your modifications. I just bought a little boat, and from the model number on the nameplate, 27107, I Googled around and I think it is a 1973 Sea King. I attached the craiglist pics. I picked it up for $155. Seems like an OK deal for what is around here.

I can't wait to get it out on the water. All the welds look fine, some of the rivets have silicone around them, but he promised no leaks! This winter I want to start my mods!

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,239
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,239
Sweet!! :D Congrats on your first boat. Its a thrill!!!
welcome2.gif

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the site! Looks like you could have a lot of fun with that one for sure. What mods do you have in mind?

welcome aboard. nice boat. i live down the road in norman, so if you need any help just holler and i will do what i can.

I got to take her out today. No leaks! Only hooked one fish and the line broke right when I was reaching out to grab the fish.

Somebody gave me a bow mount trolling motor for free the other day. I am gonna figure out how to mount that sucker on there so I don't have to row.

After getting it out on the water, I don't think I am going to do much to it. I went and applied for a title/registration today. Tomorrow I am going to go to bass pro and try to find me some cushioned seats with backs on them and some of those lights that run off batteries for the sides. Other than that, I will probably not do too much else. One of the posts on here was talking about how to tell if decking would be worth it by walking around and seeing how that worked out but I am almost afraid to stand up in it!

I was throwing out old receipts and realized it has been over 2 years since I took that boat out. Time sure flies!

Here's an update:

I never could get a title for this thing. In this state any boat has to be registered to be out on public waters, regardless of length. I had a notarized bill of sale and the tax commission insisted I also get a notarized letter saying it was never registered because it was used on private waters. The people I bought it from would never return my calls and finally they did and said they would sent it, which they never did.

It had been registered though, it had OK numbers on the side of it, more on this later. I couldn't get a title, so I advertised it on craigslist as a boat with no title, only to be used for public waters. Some guy bought it, saying that would be no problem, even though I told him he probably wouldn't be able to get one, then a few weeks later turns out those OK numbers were for a kayak, which that owner still had in his possession, and had never owned this particular boat. The guy demanded his money back or would pursue legal action, saying I told him he would be able to get a title. Since it seems as if the boat has a questionable background I quickly got the boat back and gave him his cash. :x

I went back and forth with the tax commission on this and got nowhere. I ended up selling it to someone else with a pond on their land that didn't give a darn about not having a title. I had then sign a statement this time saying they understood there was no guarantee of them being able to get a title.

---

What got me thinking about the site today was that my neighbor has a little 1970's aluminum 14 footer, with a 7HP outboard, with a trailer, title, 2 almost new seats, life vests, anchor, fairly new tires, and a new cover parked out behind his house. He was driving by the house the other night and saw me draining the water out of an air compressor and stopped to chat about it for some reason. He saw a generator like his that he needed parts for in my garage so we took mine apart and got part numbers off it. Since we were now in good graces with each other (he used to work at the school and we didn't get along too well then) I figured I would ask about the boat, if it was his, and told him before the summer had started that I had wanted to stop by a while back and see if he wanted to get rid of it but had taken a job out of town and wasn't around all summer.

He told me he doesn't fish much anymore and would let it go for $250. :mrgreen: He then thought for a second and said that he just bought an extra gas tank for it and wanted to include that since he wouldn't have another use for it, so $275. The registration is expired by 6 years but I have all the numbers and will be calling the tax commission in the morning. There is a price listed on the title at $300 so I don't think registration will be that much since, from what I read, the cost is based on original price and depreciated 10% every year until it has depreciated 90%, and that the fees for not keeping it up to date can't exceed the actual cost of registration.

I'm pretty excited as I think this is a great deal. What do ya'll think? $275 for boat, motor, trailer, and accessories? He said we could take it out on the water this week so I can see that it is everything he said it was.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma with the first boat, but it seems like you lucked up again.
$275 sounds great. Hope it works out. Be sure to post some pics!

This post is quite an interesting story to read. I'm glad it has a happy ending. The $275 deal sounds like a good one. Post some pics when you can.

I got my first boat this summer, and it didn't have a title either. No money changed hands until I made sure I could obtain a title. Luckily it was from out of state and it wasn't stolen. The DNR officer that inspected it said if it was from in state it would have been extemely hard to re-register.

Man I just called the tax commission... this hobby is expensive. It's going to cost almost $17 to get this thing in my name and up to date. :D

I'm gonna drive over and talk to the neighbor and see when we can take it out. :LOL2:

CodyPomeroy said:
I got my first boat this summer, and it didn't have a title either. No money changed hands until I made sure I could obtain a title. Luckily it was from out of state and it wasn't stolen. The DNR officer that inspected it said if it was from in state it would have been extemely hard to re-register.

What's funny is that the TC told me no problem, just have a notarized bill of sale and there wouldn't be any issue. The BOS was notarized by the county sheriff and the boat had a serial number and everything so I doubt they would have been that stupid to try to pull that off. Later on I was at the TC for a scooter title and I met a very helpful lady who told me if the boat didn't have the capacity plate stapled to the transom and the letters on the side were peeled off *wink* *wink* I could have gotten a HIN issued, since the boat didn't already have one.

Oh well, this turned out to be a better deal I think.

Ok, here she is! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

$275 and I've got a notary embossed title sitting on my dresser to take to the tax commission tomorrow!

https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/1.jpg
https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/2.jpg
https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/3.jpg
https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/4.jpg
https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/5.jpg
https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/6.jpg
https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/7.jpg
https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/matt112485/boat/8.jpg

We took it out on the lake today here in town. It had been sitting a while but once we got her started she runs pretty good. Gonna put some fresh fuel in it and that should smooth things out. Pretty sturdy, a lot better than the first boat. Still wouldn't want two people standing at once though. It cruises real nice, albeit a little slow. That motor is an Otasco, Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company. My neighbor has the book for it, I've got to go back over there and get it.

I had fun just taking it out for a spin, I've got some good times ahead when it gets warm again!

Latest posts