Foam flotation in fishing boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregsfan

Reaction score
I just picked up a very used Sears 12 v-hull. The space for the year on the registration form says "unknown". I've been trying to date it, but the ID tags are long gone. It does have foam flotation blocks under the last two seats. Anybody know when manufacturers started doing that? Was it a government mandated thing or? Thanks.

dregsfan said:
I just picked up a very used Sears 12 v-hull. The space for the year on the registration form says "unknown". I've been trying to date it, but the ID tags are long gone. It does have foam flotation blocks under the last two seats. Anybody know when manufacturers started doing that? Was it a government mandated thing or? Thanks.
Don't know when the Gooberment mandated it, but I do know that many companies started it long before then, and long before HINs and capacity plates were required, so chances are, that is not a good thing to try to date the hull by, unless you happen across some person that for whatever reason knows when Sears started putting it in. I do like your out of the box thinking however.

That flotation requirement was in 72. But sears had foam in long before that. I had an old Sears from 65 or 66 that my Teenage boys tried to sink. It always came up with the Gunnl's up.
Good boat for that.
Sure was a tippy thing though.