How stable is a 42 inch bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I'm looking at an 84 tracker on CL, and it has a 42 inch bottom with a 30 HP motor, side console, and live well.

Heres the general question... how stable will it be? Im only going to fish med. sized inland lakes.

Thanks!

wow this is an easy one that size boat should be fine.. most guys get on here and ask about decking out a 32" wide boat and having 4 200 llb guys in it

haha I know it can handle it, I'm just not sure if I want it or not. I'm sure it will be okay, I'm just worried about chop from tubing boats and what not, and falling overboard when the boat shakes violently lol.

Yes.If weight is on or just past the gunnel it will try to flip.Usually the boat will dip the gunnel and swamp before actually flipping over.

The 1442 is a good boat. I hunt & fish out of a 1440MV. It is pretty stable, I have never felt like it was ever even close tipping over. Never. I can walk around it, stand up to shoot & fish and it is stable enough. I've hunted with me & a buddy and it is crowded but works.
But it has limitations.
When it was just me hunting & fising solo, it was a great boat. Now that my son is with me, it is a little crowded and hard to move around with all the gear for two. And I hate having a middle bench in the way. Actually, hunting & fishing with another adult as opposed to a 9 year old works better, with the adult, they help with anchors, paddling, put up the blind, etc.., where as the boy is still pretty much just there to fish/watch.
If I could do over, I would get a minimum of 1448 without a middle bench, with a 1548 or 1648 being preferred.
After my experience, I am a fan of buying more boat than less. I have only rarely wished for a smaller boat (only when duck hunting & I now have a layout boat for those situations) but have many times wished for a large one.
My advice: take a buddy with you to look at the boat. Then both get in it and see how crowded it is. If it works, buy it. If not, keep looking.

Latest posts