Anyone ever make a windshield

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
I want a windshield for my new boat. Any tips on making one? I am thinking carefully heating a sheet of plexiglass with a heat gun and bending it. I think lexan would be a bit much for my boat.

Did you see the show on the history or discovery channel about the german flying wing? They made a wooden form and then heated the plexiglass in an oven for even heating and laid it over the form. Very simple and effective, the guys just used welding gloves to handle the material and it set up in a couple seconds... I wouldn't use a heat gun or torch, been there and made bubbles when it got too hot locally. Figure you could make a form out of some luann or sheet metal stapled to backer boards in the form you want. Heat the panels in a regular oven if it's big enough and drape it over the form.

I'm thinking about doing something similiar for the center concole on my boat since we were dodging bugs running downriver last Friday evening at 40mph.

Jamie

We used to bend 90 degree angles in 1/4" plexiglass when making "covers" for desks at work, and the angle would keep it from sliding off the desk. Used a brazing torch and evenly feathered the flame back and forth above the plexiglass after laying it over the edge of a slightly rounded surface. Just have to keep an eye on it and go slow, and don't get the flame close to the plastic. A lot of radiant heat is out away from the flame. We also used a torch to "glass" the edges of freshly cut plexiglass to give it a smooth appearance. Just gotta keep the torch moving and don't get close. We did mess up a few times, but had plenty of backup stock. Practice on a scrap piece first.

Well with this new Fishfinder I bought, I don't know if I can make one any more. I need to figure something out though, because I'm tired of eating bugs at night. Thanks for the ideas.

Latest posts