14 ft 1965 Traveler Flat-V Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_fisherman

Reaction score
New Here, been reading posts for a few months...lots of info.

I bought a 14 ft Aluminum Arkansas Traveler Flat-V boat and decided to mod it out. Planned to build a high deck but from reading some posts I found that it was not a good idea as I only have a 32" beam.
S5000110a.jpg
After some thinking and rendering on Sketchup, I came up with a design that would enable me to soundproof the boat.
Jon boat finished2.jpg
trailer.jpg
As you can see the render, it helped determine how much material was necessary for the mod.

Few Problems:
Rotten Transom, leaky and missing rivets, no paint, gunked up motor, etc.
S5000111.jpg
S5000110.jpg

S5000107.jpg

My Modifications:
Pulled Sea King 5 hp motor apart, cleaned, lubed the lower unit (not in photo), replaced spark plug, and bought a gas tank. Also test ran it in a trashcan to determine its performance.
motor.jpg

Replaced transom using template from old transom, polyurethaned it and attached it to hull using stainless steel bolts that have a dab of heavy duty construction adhesive.
S5000122.jpg

Drilled out leaky rivets, attached new rivets adding some heavy duty construction adhesive (able to bond metals and wood). Very good for waterproofing on bottom of boat.

Created a storage locker in bow of boat. Created a cardboard template, then cut and poly-ed the wood (1/2 in) that is supported by a piece of 1/8 x 1 in angle aluminum. It wont be enough to stand on but it will hold my trolling motor.
S5000108.jpg
S5000121.jpg
S5000124.jpg

Painted the boat (deep green) and pinstriped it.
S5000114.jpg

Took it out to lake yesterday and I'll be....it floats and is a beauty.
Motor runs well and the Eagle Cuda 300 Fishfinder is a nice addition.

yes, its made of some thick 1/16 or 3/32 aluminum hull and weighed around 250 lbs when it was empty.

evattman said:
Thats a cool boat! Is is pretty stable when you stand and move around?

Not bad when motor is down, little tipsy when i stand up front, definitely not good for fishing while standing.

Latest posts