Upgrading to an 18 foot Monark!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
So I planned to buy a tracker for around 3 grand, but this was too cool to pass up. Its an 18 foot Monark, with an 82 inch beam. Comes with a 1977 75 horse Johnson Stinger. The motor isnt running, but the guy is "pretty sure" it just needs the carbs cleaned. I'll get into that more later... Comes with a trailer in decent shape. All for 1200 (asking). I'm going by tomorrow to look it over, and hopefully talk him down a bit.

As you'll see in the below pics, it has a TON of floor space... more than I'll know what to do with. I'm hoping to be able to move the console forward to allow for a large rear casting deck, but I dont know how its attached or what the story will be with the motor controls.

I'll be building a front casting deck, livewell, and rod locker towards the front, which should take up a bit of space. I'll have to do some imagineering the next few days.

First things first, I have to decide if I want to paint it. I was thinking of steelflexing the bottom in black, and painting the sides gloss red. Problem is, I dont know what to do with the inside. I don't want it camo, and I dont want to drop the big bucks on marine paint for the inside. I tried rustoleum on the interior of my last boat, and it was okay, but not very durable. Any ideas? I'll post up a pic of how I plan to paint the exterior, and we'll go from there. Sorry about the small pics.

So anyways, aren't you guys glad I decided to stick with a tin boat??

Attachments

• 18 con.jpg
    18 con.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 18 int.jpg
    18 int.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 18 hull.jpg
    18 hull.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,056
the steering console should be an easy move unless it is welded to the hull. may just need to buy a longer steering cable.

So what would look best? Red hull with black steel flex bottom, or gray SF bottom? If your wondering why im SFing to the tip of the bow, its because i want the durability where the winch attaches.

Attachments

• 18 hull-paint.JPG
    18 hull-paint.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 18 hull-paint2.JPG
    18 hull-paint2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,046
Nice boat I have a 14ft smoker craft that I am in the process of building a deck for it. Thats a fair price i am in north carolina and thats a good price.

Well this thread is going to be full of questions, so those passing thru, please feel free to chime in with answers! I'll start off with the motor:

Where can I get carb kits for this motor? Is it hard to do?

I have NO outboard experience, and barely know what a carb is. I'm leaning towards taking it in and getting it professionally done, but funds are low, as usual.

I forgot to mention, this motor doesnt have power trim. I know I'll want to buy an after market kit, or just turn this motor and buy one with it. However, I don't know if I want to dump money into fixing it, try to sell it, and try to find another similar size, all without adding that much money. What do you guys think?

Welcome to the site!!! That appears to be a great deal!! Hopefully, the motor just needs a little tweaking to get running.
I like the red and the gray. Just my opinion though!

I changed my mind! :LOL2: Paint it all Black 8) maybe with some red graphics or lettering or what not. That would look killer. If I was in your shoes I would sell the motor and hold out for something that will work the way you want it.

If you have Napa auto parts close to you, you can get everything you need there! Normally, they can get order your parts and have them the next day.

Jim said:
I changed my mind! :LOL2: Paint it all Black 8) maybe with some red graphics or lettering or what not. That would look killer. If I was in your shoes I would sell the motor and hold out for something that will work the way you want it.

Great idea! :mrgreen:

Any idea what I could get for the motor, considering it doesnt even run? I have time to save up for a better one (all winter), but I'm just worried I won't get enough if I try to sell this one as is.

Would it be a good idea to spend the money to get it up and running first? I should also remind you that I'm in MI, and our economy is in shambles.

dyeguy1212 said:
Any idea what I could get for the motor, considering it doesnt even run? I have time to save up for a better one (all winter), but I'm just worried I won't get enough if I try to sell this one as is.

Would it be a good idea to spend the money to get it up and running first? I should also remind you that I'm in MI, and our economy is in shambles.

You will certainly be able to get more for it if its running. If I were you, I would take it to a mechanic and tell him to take a look at it see if what he thinks it would take. (some around here will do that) Then you can make the decision on what to do with it.

I see motors about that age on my local Craigslist for anywhere between 200-500 bucks.......where they list as "don't know whats wrong with it"

But, my girlfriend is from MI, and your right, the economy is a bit worse up there. So, its hard to say

Another Mon Ark, sweet! I knew you'd find something you couldn't pass up, and this is a GREAT deal IMO if it's a solid hull.

Id go red and gray. Clean her up and use her as is for the remainder of the summer so you can fish, then mod later. I say this as I mod mine continuously haha.

Love the open floor plan, really makes the thing super fishable. Nice find!

Thanks for the advice evattman, I was figuring its best to have it looked at first. Who knows, if its up and running strong (for cheap), I might be forced to drop the 500 for power trim down the road. I'm just not sure how necessary it will be. I love to tweak my uncles boat to get max speed, so I have a feeling this one will be no different.

and ober, you called it :lol:. I cant let this one pass me by. If makes me pay the whole 1200, I'll so it. Its going to be a HELLUVA project, thats gonna take me forever, but it will be a lot of fun. I'd like to take your advice and use it as is, but until I get the motor going, I'm stuck on shore. I dont have a whole lot of cash saved besides whats going to the seller, so I can either pay to get the motor fixed, or pay for steelflex and paint, and get that done before winter.

I know the motor should come first, but with a hull like this, I'm having a hard time caring about how its getting propelled! 8)

dyeguy1212 said:
Thanks for the advice evattman, I was figuring its best to have it looked at first. Who knows, if its up and running strong (for cheap), I might be forced to drop the 500 for power trim down the road. I'm just not sure how necessary it will be. I love to tweak my uncles boat to get max speed, so I have a feeling this one will be no different.

and ober, you called it :lol:. I cant let this one pass me by. If makes me pay the whole 1200, I'll so it. Its going to be a HELLUVA project, thats gonna take me forever, but it will be a lot of fun. I'd like to take your advice and use it as is, but until I get the motor going, I'm stuck on shore. I dont have a whole lot of cash saved besides whats going to the seller, so I can either pay to get the motor fixed, or pay for steelflex and paint, and get that done before winter.

I know the motor should come first, but with a hull like this, I'm having a hard time caring about how its getting propelled! 8)

If it were me, I would buy two batteries and a 24 v Minn KOta trolling motor and then work on the motor on the side as the cash comes in and as you have time. You're likely going to buy the motor the motor later anyway for fishing and need two batteries for a rig that big. The boat wont move fast, but youll get where you need to go and for a long time, making use out of the boat while you are doing your work. Steel Flex is a great idea, and I would recommend it, but you're going to need a lot of help moving that boat around, at least another guy.

I told you youd find that boat you want. I would easily pay 1200 for that setup!

Thats not a half bad idea, problem is I wanted to save up for two optimas!!

I dont know what batteries to get now.. the wally world ones failed me too many times, and the Bass Pro band wont take those on board watering hook ups...

What do you think I should look for in a TM power wise? I figured a 55 would be the minimum, and that speed is usually the last speed until you bump to 24 volts.

I found a CMC power tilt kit on CL for 385... I'm REALLY considering it..

dyeguy1212 said:
Thats not a half bad idea, problem is I wanted to save up for two optimas!!

I dont know what batteries to get now.. the wally world ones failed me too many times, and the Bass Pro band wont take those on board watering hook ups...

What do you think I should look for in a TM power wise? I figured a 55 would be the minimum, and that speed is usually the last speed until you bump to 24 volts.

I found a CMC power tilt kit on CL for 385... I'm REALLY considering it..

I'd consider it but first make sure the motor is worth that plunge, no?

A 55 is a good idea. I bought my battery from Sears last year a Die Hard, it's been great, can't complain. I'm sure others are better and others are better bang for the buck, but I got mine there and would again. I am likely going to by a small cranking battery for my outboard today. If you fish for a really long time, I would go 24 v. But, if cash is an issue, and it is for me, go with the 1 good battery for now, it can always be switched out for the optimas later. That rig is huge, so it will barely feel the weight of 3 batteries I bet.

Question for others: Can I use a small mower or tractor battery for use for my 9.9 or 25 electric start motors?

Ober, I'm pretty sure I've seen that suggested before. Not sure if it was this board or another, but I'm almost positive I've seen it suggested.

Picking a TM will be tough, but with the MK Edge, a 55 12v will cost me 500, and a 70 24v will cost 570. For 70 bucks, the extra power seems worth it, but add in the additional 100 for another battery, and its a tough call. I'd like to try a 24v for the first time, just to see how long the batteries will last me, but its not necessarily cost effective.

On another note, I put my old 45 pound MG Varimax on my uncles 24 foot pontoon with a 50 HP 4 stroke, and it pulled it pretty darn good. Not the fastest, but it would work for more applications. Makes me tempted to stick with a 55 pounder... decisions decisions..

Latest posts