Motor problem... Am I crazy... ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
to be going fishing today, and maybe tomorrow, once more too, "before" I have a chance to get my boat to the shop Thurs. morning ?

Here's the scoop. Last week my throttle started trying to stick, up at around 2300 to 2800 rpms. So, back at the house, I take off the cowling, and find that some of the throttle linkage peices right at the carb, are slightly rusted / corroded ? I spray them with WD40 and work the throttle. The next day on the water, the throttle was much better, only sticking slightly, once or twice.

But I was wondering why the moisture under my cowling.... So yesterday, I fire it up, and then remove my cowling.... And HOLY #%$#$ ! Houston, we have a problem ! It turns out that the lower end of my "water jacket" {I guess its called..... the part where all the water comes into, then gets routed to everywhere it needs to go, from here} has a blown out gasket, and is spraying water straight down, with such force, that my whole motor is filling up with water to the edge of where the cowling seats in !

Crazy thing is, in retrospect, I honestly think this has been happening for like 5 months straight, as I remember WAY back, seeing some water draining down some of the cables coming from under the cowling, and wondering where it was coming from. I thought it was spaying up from the front of the lower unit. Doh !

So anyway..... months of use, without a problem... until the throttle linkage started corroding. The pee hole shows plenty of cooling water pressure.

I think I'm going fishing today.

Oh, but one more thing. How scary is this ? My oil dipstick port (the dipstick apparently seals pretty tightly) is right at, if not slightly below the water level when my motor fills up !!!

Checked the oil yesterday though, and there was no milkyness whatsoever. In fact, it didn't even look too dirty, and was right to the full mark.

So, how crazy am I to run it 1 or 2 more days, after running it maybe 70, days like it is, without a problem ?

What do ya' think ?

Fish

Go for it - you have all winter to fix the problem. Just make sure you leave a float plan with someone and a "drop dead" time that you must check in by.

Make sure that your radio, cell phone and flares are in order. Avoid any potentially dangerous area and bring an oar.

I would fish one more time

I think your NUTS lol

All kidding aside why take the chance of damaging your motor?
it never fails that you have gotten lucky so far and when you push the envelope it comes crashing down just get it to the shop and get it fixed

Wayne

I sure wouldn't chance it. What if what you saw was the gasket finally failing completely and when you get out there you have no cooling. But if you do go, float plan all the way.

I went fishing....... But I was so concerned about the motor the whole time, that I couldn't really concentrate 100% on my fishing like I would want to..... Then the wind came up.... Then on the way back to the ramp (might have just been my imagination) the pee hole seemed like it had less than normal pressure.

So, no more fishing from my baby until I get this problem fixed. Taking it to the shop tomorrow. Only thing is, the gasket will take a week to get in ! :-( I was totally dreading the thought of no fishing for like 10 days straight ! ......then, one of my buddies asked me, "What about your old boat" ??? Oh yea ! I forgot about that :)

Fixing to call the buddy I gave that too, and ask for it back for a few days :) (that was the stipulation when I gave it to him) He said it was running okay, the last time I asked.

It would be a trip to get a(nother) big old Sturgy in that little old tin can :)

Peace,
Fish

Latest posts