Carpet Installation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudduck

Reaction score
I am getting closer to installing my carpet and had a few questions. I have been looking through old posts and have had a difficult time sifting through all the information to find any good info on this topic. How have you guys dealt with corners? Are you running the carpet on the top then folding it over and cutting a triangle out to make the carpet lay flat on both edges? Any carpet laying pointers would be very helpful, Thank You in advance.

I was going to give you a link to my carpet... but the pictures on the one tsgt ken put up are better than mine. Do it like that and you won't have any uneven places to get in the way when you go to put your board down

well im trying to figure mine out...my decks are aluminum and riveted down...im going to lay my carpet over the rivets so i wont be able to fold the carpet under...do yall think it will hold?

it will hold.. if you can find bassboy1's mod, you'll see that's what he did too. I would run the carpet up to the bottom of the gunwhales - then you have less tendency to snag it on the corners with a rod tip or something which might pull it up.

Be sure to use that Henry's glue from Lowes - that stuff is like cement on his boat

Thanks, That pretty much explains it all. How do you guys feel about using the contact cement after the tops have been glued? I am going to wrap the carpet under all of the corners on my front deck, rear deck, and lids. What manufacturer of contact cement is best? Is it going to be waterproof?

I don't think contact cement (if you're talking about the spray kind) gives much if any moisture barrier... but the 3m stuff you can get at home depot or wally world is some strong stuff...

I used marine glue, They sell the same glue at Home depot as well, Indoor Outdoor carpet glue, For the edges I used polyurethane construction adhesive, 8.00 per large tube.. None of my edges are folded either, well most none of them on the deck and stuff...

My rig has factory aluminum flooring and rivets, and I installed my carpet (rubber-backed "marine" carpet from Lowe's) without folding it under due to not being able to get under the flooring. I used the Henry 663 indoor/outdoor glue from Lowe's. Follow the directions on the container, wait the recommended time before exposing the carpet to water, and you'll be good to go. As Russ stated, run the carpet up the inside of the vertical areas if possible. Takes a little more figurin' / cuttin' due to the compound curve of the hull there, but worth the time it takes. I used a notched trowel to lay the glue, then afterwards after I had the carpet set where I wanted it, I used a wooden rolling pin (borrowed my wife's from the kitchen..........and got caught doing it) to roll-out all the surfaces you can get to.

Here's some pics of my install: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=113, and I did mine back around Nov. 2007 and have had no problems with it yet.

Latest posts