Help!! Gas Tank Enclosure

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudduck

Reaction score
In my mind I currently have my back deck off the top of my rear seat to the transom fully enclosing my gas tank except for a 5x12" slot i cut out for venting in the back (i am not sure it is enough). I have heard gas fumes are heavier than air? The problem i have is that my battery will also be contained in this area and sparks may eventually fly from connecting the trolling motor or any number of things. I am not really sure this is going to be safe? I am wondering if anyone out there knows how so many of the boats on this site seem to have covered gas tanks? What are the steps i need to take to keep the fumes out and ensure it is going to be safe? Thanks for any input

My last enclosed tank area had one of these on either side with the vent hoses going all the way to the bottom of the bilge. One was facing forward, one aft.

https://www.iboats.com/Perko_Cowl_Ventilator/dm/cart_id.891140464--session_id.853553896--view_id.39386

My Triton is vented through the fill cap, which is located at the top of the transom.

i would seperate the fuel tank from the battery, then install a vent hose on both the tank and battery (if your battery has the vent nipple. some do some dont) going threw the deck

If you unscrew the vent screw all the way, you will notice that it is just threaded in. You can run over to Lowes, with the vent cap in hand, and match up the thread. Most of the Tempo tanks I have used are 1/4" NPT. Get yourself a nylon angled, 1/4 NPT to 1/4" barb, and a some 1/4 plastic hose. Thread in your new angle fitting with a little Teflon tape, and attach the hose to the barb. Now, you need a quick disconnect for two reasons. First, you need to remove the tank to fill it, and second, you couldn't spin the cap off with it connected to the vent line. You could use a disconnect for compressed air lines, just get ones with a barb, made to go onto 1/4 inch hose, or you could get one of these little doohickeys.
fueltank001.jpg

Basically, the hose stuffs into it, and it holds, and to release it, you pull back on the two ears, and it pops out.

Here is my layout.
fueltank002.jpg

The hose then exits out on under the corner cap at the back deck. I would recommend making the lead between the tank and the disconnect a little shorter, as when unscrewing the lid, you have all that slack to contend with. I generally get about a year of use before the end of the hose is mangled enough to not grab anymore. At that point, I cut 1/2 inch off, and have another year. At just pennies per foot, replacing a section of hose every few years is not a problem at all.

Thanks for the info. I think that this will work great. Do you seal the hose when the boat is in storage? (kind of like screwing the vent cap closed) Or will it be ok just open to vent all the time?

leave it open. when you do close your vent for whatever reason do not leave it closed for an extened period of time because the gas vapors will compress untill somthing gives

Hey good idea, I well have to set this up on mine, I should have most of the stuff laying around too.

Bassboy1, where did you find the quick disconnect pictured in your last post? On the end of the vent hose did you put anything to prevent rain from getting in the hose?

Cubman said:
Bassboy1, where did you find the quick disconnect pictured in your last post? On the end of the vent hose did you put anything to prevent rain from getting in the hose?

The quick disconnect should be available from Lowes or any halfway decent hardware store. It does wear out the hose after repeated uses, so every month or so, I'd cut about 1/4" off the hose, and when the hose got too short, I'd cough up the 1.75 to replace it.

At the end, point the end of the tube down, so it has the configuration of a candy cane (technical term). This will pretty well eliminate water getting in, as it won't flow uphill.

Latest posts