finally getting started

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dneaster3

Reaction score
I'm in need of a duck boat, and my brother is delivering a hand-me-down aluminum v-hull to me next week from our pappaw. :D and I don't yet know what condition it'll be in or what shape the something-horse motor is in, but it floats and has a trailer, so that's a start.

I intend to paint the boat and trailer, deck it, and wire it, put in a livewell, and build a custom duckblind. However, since I don't know what kind of shape it's in, I'm not sure if this should be a project for me, or if I should sell it and go buy a different hull.

Can you guys help me out with some advice and tips on the process... specifically how to tell if it is a lemon or a useable hull. What are your Go/No-Go evaluations?

I'll keep y'all updated on the boat and what I decide to do with it.

(I'm new to the forum and new to boat mods, so go easy on me)

Welcome to the site.
It's a hard question,without seeing the boat,knowing it's size...etc.
Try to post some pictures when it arrives,it would be a big help.
Are you hunting/fishing big bodies of water?

thanks guys! I promise, photos are coming as soon as I can get my hands on the boat.

Loggerhead mentioned corrosion as a deal killer. anything else? are there any features or problems that make a hull not worth the effort?

Dneaster3,
Be sure and check out the transom (that's the back of the boat in landlubber speak). It will likely contain some wood which may or may not be rotted. This is what will carry the weight of the something-horespower motor so you need to make sure it's strong enough to handle the weight of the motor and the stress of acceleration when you give the motor gas and take off.

I presume that since you're putting in a livewell that you'll be using it to fish out of as well. The biggest thing there is aeration of the water and there's numerous threads on this forum covering that subject. Good luck and have fun!

Mike

My brothers don't have a title, but TN will allow me to title the boat off of a bill of sale or a gift affidavit, so we're good there.

Got a call from my family today and the hull is solid, no leaks. The transom wood is shot, but "easily replaceable". The trailer lights are working, and the whole package gets delivered to me on Monday via my college-bound brother. Oh, and I also picked up a sweet deal on a 20hp johnson today, so i'm pumped!

I'll start a new thread for the cleanup and mods. Thanks again for your help guys!

Latest posts