1984 Starcraft Project. Need some help/advice.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miller Time

Reaction score
Several months back I acquired a 1984 Starcraft 16' aluminum bass boat. It came with a 46 thrust motorguide, a hummingbird 525 and a Johnson 25hp motor. From the day I got her I had planned on giving her some TLC, but decided to fish out of it for awhile first. It floats and everything seems to work fine. The only problem I have is the front deck is to short. I have alot of trouble mainting my balance trying to dance around the foot controll and the depth finder. So I really need to extend this baby out. I also have no rod or tackle storage compartment. My boat is almost the exact same size as a Tracker Pro 16 so I want to see how close I can get her just like that. Unless of course I come up with a few other crazy idea's along the way.

My main question or concern is what type of plywood would you recommend. Ive heard treated and non-treated. I have a buddy who fishes alot out of a 16' Lowe and he use's treated and has replaced it twice in the 5 years I know him. Reason I mention this is another guy told me he use'd untreated and just carpeted it and has been using the same stuff since 1996. So Im a bit confused, on which route to go. Also Id be interested on any framing work that someone can suggest to me. And do you drill directly into the boat? I figure the easiest route for rod storage will be how the Pro 16 is set up especially figuring I use almost nothing shorter than a 7' rod, but I can still add straps for when Im out by myself to secure more rods down. Normally I take no less than 5 rods and average 7 per trip.

Any information someone can provide me will be greatly appreciated and I hope to be as active on this forum as I am at KVD's.

With an aluminum boat you DO NOT want to use treated wood!! The copper in the treated wood will react with the aluminum in a bad way.

What i did with the wood on my deck is line x it (stuff like bedliner or whatever) then just put carpet on that so now i dont have to worry about the wood rotting.

Thanks for the response's. Im going to attempt to do some work on the front deck next weekend hopefully. Probably depends on what time I get off the water or if anything unexpected occurs. Any tips on framing the deck?