Boat Driving Lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBigDog

Reaction score
Good morning ....

Do we have any sponsors who carry marine grade driving lights, to be mounted on the front of a boat?

Thank You ...... Rich

Around here most people have something like this on the front of their boat mounted in with the trolling motor bracket. I think it's just a tractor light made by Peterson Manufacturing. The light is mounted in a rubber housing to help keep it from blowing from vibration. They come with a flood bulb but most people swap them out with a spot bulb. I know you can get this light at Tractor Supply or O'Reilly Autoparts. Here is a picture of one mounted on my boat. Hope this helps. Wish I had a close up shot of the light so it would be more helpful. Also too, there are lots of custom set ups they use for duck boats, check out this web site.
https://www.mudbuddy.com/Store%20specifications%20sheets/Twin%20Spotlight%20Spec.html
I think these might be hard on a battery though.

Attachments

• DSCN3344.JPG
    DSCN3344.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 4,182
jasonr95 said:
Around here most people have something like this on the front of their boat mounted in with the trolling motor bracket. I think it's just a tractor light made by Peterson Manufacturing. The light is mounted in a rubber housing to help keep it from blowing from vibration. They come with a flood bulb but most people swap them out with a spot bulb. I know you can get this light at Tractor Supply or O'Reilly Autoparts. Here is a picture of one mounted on my boat. Hope this helps. Wish I had a close up shot of the light so it would be more helpful. Also too, there are lots of custom set ups they use for duck boats, check out this web site.
https://www.mudbuddy.com/Store%20specifications%20sheets/Twin%20Spotlight%20Spec.html
I think these might be hard on a battery though.

That helps ALOT .... Thank you.

I put a set of Hella lights on the front of mine... well, actually, just one. And that sucker lights up from about 40 yards from the bank.

I don't know the model, or even how old they are, but I think the dimensions of the face are 2.5 x 5 or 6"... didn't run my batts down either.

Unlike the one pictured (I think).. mine is on a swivel base and I can rotate it up, down, left and right... makes a big difference when you change the side of the boat you are fishing out of

I do a lot of night fishing on the river, and dodging the logs sticking out of the river can get a little hairy. I was thinking about installing something like this, but was also a little worried about what it would do to the battery. Would it use up any more juice than a handheld 1.5 million candlepower spotlight? I only carry one battery in my boat.

russ010 said:
Unlike the one pictured (I think).. mine is on a swivel base and I can rotate it up, down, left and right... makes a big difference when you change the side of the boat you are fishing out of

Good point. Every time that your load shifts or the attitude of the boat changes, your lights will not be aimed correctly.

Lights on a boat are good in theory but they really only work well in tight quarters (rivers or flooded timber) or when approaching a bank. The light just scatters out too much on open water. I would opt for a handheld spotlight (what I use) or something like the golight in that situation.

We got four of these mounted on the deck, and you can believe when we are running at night we leave at least the front two on. Unless we are on a bend in the river, these will light up channel markers well enough in advance and we don't need the spot light. The main river we fish gets a lot of barge traffic. They probably think we are pirates #-o
https://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z
Now I know not everyone has 120v AC running on the boat. :D

I had KC 100 watt floods I was going to mount before we went with the generator. I tested them in the drive way and they put out quite a bit of light. Also nice that they were, in fact, mounted on the socket bases and could be moved. A lot of the Airboat guys use the KC style lights for driving too.

Not saying you have to buy KC brand, but that style of light is probably your best bet and has the most mounting options

I bought some lights from walmart they work ok. I have one aimed lower than the other.

russ010 said:
I put a set of Hella lights on the front of mine... well, actually, just one. And that sucker lights up from about 40 yards from the bank.

I don't know the model, or even how old they are, but I think the dimensions of the face are 2.5 x 5 or 6"... didn't run my batts down either.

Any chance you have pics of your set-up ?

basically all I'm using is a plumbing pipe clamp, then I drilled through the top of it, put a bolt down through the mounting bracket of the light, then put a nut on the underside of the clamp... you can see it in the pics..

bolted light front.jpg

bolted light back.jpg

bolted light setup.jpg

russ010 said:
basically all I'm using is a plumbing pipe clamp, then I drilled through the top of it, put a bolt down through the mounting bracket of the light, a nut, then put another bolt on the underside of the clamp... you can see it in the pics..

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Good deal .... That helps alot and gives me some ideas. Hope you had those pics on your computer and didnt have to go out and take em ..... LOL! Rich

nah - I went downstairs to take the pics. Tiff is out of town again, so the boat is on her side in the garage [-X

but, I just got a new camera earlier in the day and I wanted to go play with it... so thanks for giving me a reason to actually use it!

I had almost the same lights on my old boat. They work great. When using a handheld spot light you get a lot of feedback from the bow of the boat that really messes up how well you can see the water in front of the boat. These little lights are nowhere near the output of the handheld Q-Beam, but you can see better because they only shine on the water. They are a must when running the rivers around here. A GPS is great for staying in the channels, but it isn't going to tell you a floater is coming at you! I hit a christmas tree one night while running up to the river by GPS. I thought I had hit a kayaker, I was freakin' out. I had been using a handheld but switched to headlights, much better.

I'll take a picture tonight of it with the lights on... granted it's not as bright as my handheld, but it's pretty freaking awesome in open space out on the lakes when you are bank fishing...

Latest posts