Hurdles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Went to a track meet the other day after school to try my hand at fast-moving objects, and catching them mid-air. Tougher than I thought it would be. Used the 55-200, and the sun kept going in and out of the cloud cover, and it made the metering tough. The below shots are heavily cropped from the original captures made while the runners were about mid-way down the track. Those kids get to you before you know it! :shock:

hurdle1.jpg

hurdle2.jpg

Here's the Exif data from the first shot (which is pretty much the same for the second one):

File name: Hurdles_1_-_Copy.JPG
File date: 2010:04:20 22:04:28
Camera make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera model: NIKON D3000
Date/Time: 2010:04:20 16:44:55
Resolution: 480 x 529
Flash used: No
Focal length: 80.0mm (35mm equivalent: 120mm)
Exposure time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
Aperture: f/4.2
ISO equiv.: 400
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix

Nice shot, next time try dropping the the shutter speed to 1/60, zoom in and pan the camera with the speed of the runner. This will keep the running focus sharp and blur the background.

Here is an article on "panning"

Appreciate the tip and will certainly give it a try next time :) . Panning would have been nice on this shoot, but I was at the finish line and basically shooting towards them at a sharp angle. Still learning as I go :)