New lens

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterfowler

Reaction score
Well I got a new lens today 8) . I love it so far I got to try it out today its a little heavy but well worth it. I got a few more shots of that Yellow Crowned Night Heron today with it.

the new lens :)
sigma150-500mmos1of1.jpg

This one was shot at 270mm
sigma150-500mmosheron3of6.jpg

@500mm
sigma150-500mmosheron5of6.jpg

@500mm
sigma150-500mmosheron6of6.jpg

Yeah Now I need to get a new tripod and head for it. The sad part about it the tripod going cost as much as the lens :roll: .

Thanks.

Waterwings said:
Alright, I am now officially jealous =P~ , and congrats on the purchase of a very nice lens, Mark! =D>

Nice recaptures of the Heron!

x2!

Very nice purchase!

waterfowler,

you are going to like that lens,i got the same lens about a month ago and it has much more reach over my 300mm zoom.
it is a lot to hold,and shot but it just takes some getting use to.

caveman said:
waterfowler,

you are going to like that lens,i got the same lens about a month ago and it has much more reach over my 300mm zoom.
it is a lot to hold,and shot but it just takes some getting use to.

Thanks! I love it so far. I seen that you got it if your the same guy from Photo ZO. I did a search on ZO and seen you had a post on there about it. I PM you a few days ago to ask you about it before I bought it but I guess you haven't been over there for a few days. And I couldn't wait any longer :LOL2: . So if you see the PM there you don't have to answer it. Thanks!

Awesome pics...

Has that bird learned to take the pinchers off the crawdad before swallowing it???

I see the pinchers laying on the rock!!!

Brine said:
Awesome pics...

Has that bird learned to take the pinchers off the crawdad before swallowing it???

I see the pinchers laying on the rock!!!

Yeah he did it pretty neat to watch him do that.

Thanks guys!

If you're looking for a tripod and have a best buy store close by, give the rocketfish 65 tripod a looking over, it may just workout for that lens and won't break the bank either.

waterboy said:
If you're looking for a tripod and have a best buy store close by, give the rocketfish 65 tripod a looking over, it may just workout for that lens and won't break the bank either.

Best buy don't have any tripod for this lens. I got a tripod/head a few week before I got this lens and it can hold up to 22 lbs and so can the ball head but it not enough. The lens and camera might be 6-7 lbs but it just not soild on the tripod setup. I have $2500.00 dollars in camera and lens you don't but cheap stuff when you have that much money in camera equipment. I'm looking at about $1000 dollars for the head/tripod setup. :roll:

Here a link to tripod Head take a look for your self https://www.tripodhead.com/products/WH-Specs.cfm

Here one for the legs and this is a cheaper then the gitzo by a few hunderd dollars https://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm These legs are going cost about $400 dollars.

But thanks for your input!

Attachments

• wh-200-main-small.jpg
    wh-200-main-small.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 898
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 898
Waterwings said:
Whew, pricey items! Have you looked on ebay or other sites to see if there are any good deals, maybe save you some $$ ?

Yeah its hard to find the head used because when people get the head they love them so much they don't sell them. As for the tripod I might be able to find used.

Waterfowler said:
Waterwings said:
Whew, pricey items! Have you looked on ebay or other sites to see if there are any good deals, maybe save you some $$ ?

Yeah its hard to find the head used because when people get the head they love them so much they don't sell them. As for the tripod I might be able to find used.

I bet they do hold onto them.

If you do get a chance, just have a look at the rocketfish 65 product and compare it to your local "pro" camera store's stock of Gitzo and Manfrotto and FEISOL legs. The head is fluid and rated for 14lbs. You can also swap the head out for what you want to use in it's place. I swaped out the head and use a bogen 3028 head because I already had one and I'm just used to it for the past 6 years. The legs are really well made and sturdy carbon fiber and use the flip-lock release for extending them out. You can pick up a used one with head and use just the legs off ebay for bout 70 bucks if you like what you see at the best buy store. Just throwing it out there for you, good luck in your decision.

Attachments

• combofullview.jpg
    combofullview.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 405
  • combo.jpg
    combo.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 405
waterfowler,
Get the best you can afford......
It's like a boat if you setll for less than you want you wll kick your in the a#$ for not doing so.
And that Lens is large and HEAVY but good for the cash.A D300 would be nice.