Favorite bait shop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I know I couldn't enter this in the August contest because I didn't take it. This is a pic of my family's resort in the 50's. When I was a kid my parents owned a resort called Two Lakes Resort. As the name suggests, it was located on a narrow strip of land between 2 lakes in central MN, lakes Stella and Washington (Darwin, MN). This was the best possible way for a kid to grow up. My brothers and I were too little to be of any real use around the resort but old enough to be left alone all day to our own devices. This is where I learned to love fishing and my brothers and I could out-fish anyone on the lake. This was at a time when the lakes weren't completely ringed by lake homes or even cottages. The lake felt very wild then and the shoreline was mostly undeveloped. Between the two lakes was a pond we called the "bass pond". It still exists today despite all the changes that have happened to the lake and I fished it last summer.

In the photo the little building on the right was the minnow house. Inside on the right were the minnow tanks. They were concrete and lined the wall. My dad sometimes either bought bait or sometimes seined the bait himself from the outflow stream of Lake Stella. On the left side behind the 2 big windows was the counter where my dad sold some tackle items, pop, ice cream and candy bars. Every day during the season we kids got to go after lunch and pick one treat. At the end of the season all the good stuff came up to the house and we kept up the treat-a-day until it was gone.

I can't remember all the details but I know my dad had about a dozen wooden boats and bought three new-fangled fiberglass ones from Herter's. I remember he had three small outboards to rent. There were thirteen cabins to rent (you can see a couple of them on the left) and that kept my mom really busy with all the laundry (after we moved I think she didn't have to buy sheets for about 20 years). When we moved away the resort was sold out in parcels as individual cabins. If I could ever go back to a time in my life...

twolakes.jpg

Latest posts