Real civil war photos

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool pics caveman thanks.

I've had the honor of seeing Gettysburg twice, all of the battle areas, unbelievable what went on there.

I remember seeing John L. Burns in the museum, never forget his pic, and he's in these pics also, he's in the second colum number 31 straight down.

Just a little info about him
Burns was born in Burlington, New Jersey, of Scottish ancestry; his father claimed a relationship with poet Robert Burns. He served as an enlisted man in the War of 1812, fighting in numerous battles, including Lundy's Lane, and volunteered for both the Mexican-American War and the Civil War. He was rejected for combat duty in the latter war due to his advanced age, but he served as a teamster in support of the Union Army. He was sent home against his will to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where he was named constable. During Confederate Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early's brief occupation of Gettysburg on June 26, 1863, Burns was jailed for his adamant assertion of civil authority in resisting Early. As the Confederates departed, Burns was released from jail and arrested some of the Confederate stragglers, continuing his opposition to the invading army until he was relieved by Federal cavalry under Brig. Gen. John Buford.[3]

On the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, Burns took up his flintlock musket and powder horn and walked out to the scene of the fighting that morning. He encountered a wounded Union soldier and asked if he could use his more modern rifle; the soldier agreed and Burns moved on with the rifle and with cartridges in his pocket. Approaching Major Thomas Chamberlin of the 150th Pennsylvania Infantry, Burns requested that he be allowed to fall in with the regiment. Chamberlin later wrote of Burns moving with deliberate step, carrying his Enfield rifle at a trail.

Great stuff - I am a huge civil war amateur historian. Reading a new civil book each week now (on the Kindle :D ). Gettysburg is only a few hours from my house and I have several friends who live there so i visit fairly often. When i was younger I convinced my parents to take me on an all summer camping tour of many of the battlefields - Antietam was especially moving and I still want to fish Antietam creek near what is now called Burnside Bridge:

Antietam-Creek.jpg

Fredericksburg (Marye's Heights) was also a pretty awe inspiring place to visit if you get a chance.

On a side note - the area were I live is full of Revolutionary war sites - I often fish exactly were Washington crossed the Delaware River to attack Trenton on Christmas day, 1776, trout and smallmouth fish Valley Forge National Park and fish were the battle of Brandywine took place.

Washington's also marched very near to where my house is located n their way to Trenton

Captain Ahab said:
Great stuff - I am a huge civil war amateur historian. Reading a new civil book each week now (on the Kindle :D ). Gettysburg is only a few hours from my house and I have several friends who live there so i visit fairly often. When i was younger I convinced my parents to take me on an all summer camping tour of many of the battlefields - Antietam was especially moving and I still want to fish Antietam creek near what is now called Burnside Bridge:

Antietam-Creek.jpg

Fredericksburg (Marye's Heights) was also a pretty awe inspiring place to visit if you get a chance.

On a side note - the area were I live is full of Revolutionary war sites - I often fish exactly were Washington crossed the Delaware River to attack Trenton on Christmas day, 1776, trout and smallmouth fish Valley Forge National Park and fish were the battle of Brandywine took place.

Washington's also marched very near to where my house is located n their way to Trenton

Thats cool captain your just a few hours away, I remember a restaurant we went to that was across the street from Gettysburg National Cemetery and it is one of many places still standing from the civil war, it was cool as heck, the bar was in the basment and it had two stories for the restaurant, but I cannot remember the name of this place??? its gonna bug me now :lol:

All the memorial statues are cool also, I took alot of pics maybe I'll post a few of my favorites

Thanks for sharing! neat pictures. Yeah I get to Gettysburg pretty often my Girlfriend live in Gettysburg and we go over to the Battlefield to take walks.

Waterfowler said:
Thanks for sharing! neat pictures. Yeah I get to Gettysburg pretty often my Girlfriend live in Gettysburg and we go over to the Battlefield to take walks.

Go at Halloween and do one of the walking haunted tours, they are really fun (and a little spooky considering how many people died in such a small place)

Great Pics.Thanks for the link. I got to work near Gettysburg on a power Plant a few years ago and really enjoyed touring the Battlefield on the weekends and even got to take the wife on a Ghost tour. We both had a great time on it would love to go again one of these days

very cool. Was in Charleston about a year and a half ago and I was standing in fort sumter thinking of the shelling that was going on, amazing that it still stood. Obviously by looking at the pics, easy to see how little of it actually was! Good good stuff.

brmurray said:
very cool. Was in Charleston about a year and a half ago and I was standing in fort sumter thinking of the shelling that was going on, amazing that it still stood. Obviously by looking at the pics, easy to see how little of it actually was! Good good stuff.

It was the 2d shelling by the Union that actually destroyed most of the Fort - I read a great book about the various artillery and other methods used against that Fort, interesting stuff about the destructive capabilities of a rifled vs. smooth bore large caliber gun

Captain Ahab said:
brmurray said:

It was the 2d shelling by the Union that actually destroyed most of the Fort - I read a great book about the various artillery and other methods used against that Fort, interesting stuff about the destructive capabilities of a rifled vs. smooth bore large caliber gun

what was the name of that book Captain?