Last night Eclipse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterfowler

Reaction score
Here a few pictures I got last night we had a lot of cloud cover so I missed a lot of it. Maybe in April 2014 I'll have clear skys.

bc464db1.jpg

3369a455.jpg

Nice Shots....can't wait to process mine this weekend. Wish I had a faster lens for when it was fully eclipsed.

Mark i real like what u did with the first one,wish i new how to do that.
good work,was this with the 150-500?

I have yet to try mine out on the new body

caveman said:
Mark i real like what u did with the first one,wish i new how to do that.
good work,was this with the 150-500?

Yeah it was @500mm I used CS5 it was pretty easy to do that you just got to crop and move the pictures into it. The picture on the left was the main picture and then I just crop the others and moved them into it.

Thanks!

robr3004 said:
Nice Shots....can't wait to process mine this weekend. Wish I had a faster lens for when it was fully eclipsed.

Why would you need a faster lens? These were shot at f6.3 ISO 200 on a tripod.

Thanks!

Waterfowler said:
robr3004 said:

Why would you need a faster lens? These were shot at f6.3 ISO 200 on a tripod.

Thanks!

I was shooting up to ISO 1600 at F6.3 and I did not get the nice color you got. I tried shutter speeds from 1/15 to 1/125. The below file was shot at 800mm, 1600 ISO, F6.3 and 1/15. For 1/15th I thought it would be brighter and have more saturated color. I was surprised when I saw the results.

Attachments

• eclipse.jpg
    eclipse.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,709
Its not bad looking! Good job. Was this your first Eclipse that you shot? Next time will be better. Were you shooting on a tripod? was all the shots with the same exposure?

Mine was like 1 sec. I used a remote release. Next time you shoot the moon try with lower ISO like 200 so you can keep down on the grain. If you don't have a remote use the camera's timer that way less shake. tonight or tomorrow would be a good night to be out any try.

Mine was shot at ISO 200 f6.3 WB sunny .08sec.

Yeah you should of slowed the shutter speed down a little bit.

Thanks and yes this was my first Eclipse shot. I was shooting with a Tripod and a shutter release cable. I would have done longer exposures, but from what I read online on a few astrophotography forums is that anything longer then 1/15, the moon would start to blur because of it's movement and I could have sworn I did a test shot at 1/4 and it was blurry. Guess they were wrong. :( I always try to shoot as close to 100ISO as I can, but anything lower then 800 ISO and there wasn't much in the photo. I did set my camera to use 8 Frames Per Second and took a set of shots at ISO 200 @ 1/15 and plan to align and stack them in Photoshop to get a final exposure of 1/2. Just have to figure out how to blend the layers to add all the exposures together.

Guys.....IF...I may offer some advice on the "fast lens" topic....Faster lenses for shooting the moon is not necessary. Remember....this thing, (the moon) is 238,857 miles away. You are focusing at infinity therefore, you don't need to worry about depth of field. The "only" reason you might not open your lens to it's largest/widest aperture (assuming you need more light) is to stay in the "sweet spot" of your lens sharpness. (most lenses are sharper in their "mid aperture" settings).

Other than that....great shots. The clouds completely hid the moon from me all night long.

... (the moon) is 238,857 miles away

I'm going to tell my optometrist that the next time he says I need a new prescription for my glasses. Just gonna tell him I can still the moon, and it's a loooooong ways away from here, and that beats any eye chart stuck on the wall, lol. 8)

Waterwings said:

I'm going to tell my optometrist that the next time he says I need a new prescription for my glasses. Just gonna tell him I can still the moon, and it's a loooooong ways away from here, and that beats any eye chart stuck on the wall, lol. 8)

Dr. "You may be able to see the moon but I am standing to your left, you are looking to your right".

KMixson said:
Waterwings said:

Dr. "You may be able to see the moon but I am standing to your left, you are looking to your right".

Lol, that would be my luck, lol. :)

Latest posts