Looking for a camera

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go! :LOL2:

I want a pocket camera with huge (10x at least) zoom that is waterproof down to like 6 feet.

Also it needs to have the ability to record video(In HD would be a plus) while zooming.

Do they even make something like this. It has to have both these features.

We sent people to the moon for Petes sake. This is childs play. :LOL2:

I did some research on water-proof digital cameras a while back for my Dad's b-day. I found that the Olympus Tough cameras seemed to be very good but the zoom was only 5x. I prefer Panasonic (also make a very nice WP digi camera) but again the zoom was low at 4.6. Haven't seen any at 10x yet.

Jim,

I bought the Kodak ZX3 Playsport (i don't work for kodak but i'm going to say a lot of nice things here about the product). It is as small as a blackberry phone, and is waterproof up to 3 meters (about 10 feet). It is full 1080i HD, or you can scale it back to 720i or 720p. I bought the bundle (runs $250 from kodak, i got mine on amazon "like new" for $135). the bundle comes with the camera, a wrist lanyard, a 4GB memory card (40 mins full HD), a battery (model# Klic-7004), a small bendable tripod, and a remote control. I love it. It has been awesome catching fishing trip moments on it. And depending on the clarity of the water, you can even video the release of the fish all fishing show style. It also takes 5mpxl stills if you just want to get a quick photo. Oh, and it comes with an HDMI cord so you can plug it into your tv and watch your videos straight from the camera. I will try to post a couple of the videos to youtube, and then post the links in this thread. I usually position the tripod in the rear of my boat and then stand up front on the deck. When I get a fish on, I reach into my pocket, hit record on the remote control, and record my catch. It is really good for me because most of the time I fish alone. The remote only comes in the bundle pack though.

However, there is a couple of drawbacks for you. It does have digital zoom, but it is not 10X. More like 4x. Also, it does not perform well in low-light situations, and, even though it has an electronic image stabilizer, it can get shaky if you aren't careful. It also does not float, so be careful around your lakes! they have floatable jackets for it though. Also, the battery life is pretty short, about an hour if you keep reviewing your videos. If you decide to get one, get an extra battery. they are really cheap on amazon. The mic pics up every sound, so wind distortion on audio is to be expected on a windy day, but it is okay if you are within 6-8 feet of the camera when talking.

for me, the positives completely outweigh the negatives. but you should read reviews for yourself. i'm just giving my suggestion. i will tell you that since i have had mine, 3 of my friends have also got them to record their fishing and hunting trips. plus, KVD does a commercial for it. then again, what doesent he do a commercial for these days?

if you are taking it saltwater diving, it is not that great. you really have to be up close to catch stuff on the camera. they have a special housing for it that makes saltwater video better, but i don't want to spend the extra $500! that is 5x what the camera costed me!

Hope this helps man.

Jim said:
I have the Zi8 and was looking at the zx3.........

I'm not sure what make or model it is, but I just saw a new camera at costco that is comperable to the zx3, and it is waterproof. I can't remember who makes it though. I'm happy with mine though. I guess though since you want that level of zoom, you may need to look elsewhere. I used to have a canon powershot that had 12x zoom, and I bought an underwater hard case (they are expensive) for it. It was great for underwater video, but you needed an external underwater flash to take really good underwater photos. The camera's flash just wasn't powerful enough to go through all that water.

Jim -

Here are links to a couple of videos that i took with the zx3 playsport. forgive me on the shaky camera work on the first video, but it will show you the underwater release of a chain pickerel. the other video is the boat being launched in the everglades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmAvEBQ3WMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2d8N950B8

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE dont even need a case darn tuff .it goes fishin EVERY time water PROOF to 33 ft dust proof u can freez it or sit 200 lbs on it or drop it 6 ft . like a timex it just keeps on tickin
https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-8010-Digital-Camera/dp/B003NAO98I
heres another link with a little more info
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Olympus-227655/13812736

flatboat said:
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE dont even need a case darn tuff .it goes fishin EVERY time water PROOF to 33 ft dust proof u can freez it or sit 200 lbs on it or drop it 6 ft . like a timex it just keeps on tickin
https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-8010-Digital-Camera/dp/B003NAO98I

I'm pretty sure this is the one that I saw them selling at Costco recently... for what its worth.

i've taken video of fish fighting along side the boat. just stick it in the water . all you have todo is turn it on and hit one button and its doin vids .only thing i would recomend is somekind of float. it's heavy and it will sink ..... but it would be waterproof on the bottom , as long as it was 32 ft!

Latest posts