Bass Eating Snake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Was fishing last evening at a nature preserve area. The place is loaded with bass of all sizes as well as other flora and fauna. Well I hook a small Largemouth bass and as I am landing the fish a big Northern Water snake appeared at my feet heading towards me. I screamed like a little girl! I am not afraid of snakes but having one shoot out of teh water at my feet was unnerving.

I stepped back and landed the bass - it was about 12" long. The snake was still there so after I unhooked the fish I tossed it at the snake hoping the flopping fish would scare teh snake away - WRONG!

As soon as the fish hit the shallow water the big snake lunged and grabbed the fish by the back of the head - it then lifted the fish up and carried it down the bank under a bush. It was crazy to see.

Managed a few photos of the bass eating snake - it was stretching out its jaw in an attempt to fit around the bass' head. Really cool to watch.

snakey_004.jpg

snakey_006.jpg

snakey_005.jpg

Jake has more photos and better ones

Here are some better pics. I don't feel sorry for the bass at all....I got the skunk lastnight :roll: I am also happy the snake is chewing on the bass rather than me. Dave really did scream like a little girl, it was hilarious, I would have too though.

snakeeatingbass78081.jpg

Snakeeatingbass7808.jpg

snakeeatingbass78082.jpg

That looks like a big ole fish for that snake to be eating! :shock:

Did you happen to see if he ever got it down?

Its hard to tell from the pics, but this was right at nightfall. We lost track of the snake...because we kept fishing, but if you ask me I bet that snake swallowed that bass right down. It was a pretty big snake. I would say 4.5 to 5 feet long, and really fat.

Jeepers...are those snakes poisonious or did it strangle the bass.I'm glad up here the snakes are small and theres more chance of the bass eating them.

Zum said:
Jeepers...are those snakes poisonious or did it strangle the bass.I'm glad up here the snakes are small and theres more chance of the bass eating them.

It was a Northern Water Snake - not poisonous at all. They are also not aggressive to people - unless you grab one it will not bite you.

They are everywhere in the water and scare the crap out of me on a regular basis - I leave them alone and they leave me alone :D