Need advice on a good camera

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Well what can be a good camera for my wife, we know nothing of them except to point and shoot.

She has many times wanted a better camera that she can use for family photos and nature pics, I assume something that can zoom in well and still take great pics. Digital would be nice so we can download them and a camera easy to learn.

I do realize that lighting has much to do with pics but I'm talking about taking pics mainly outside.

I'm sure we are talking about some high dollars so I'm trying to prepare for it.

I would like to get this for her at Christmas time, so I have a little time left to save and hopefully get a nice one.

Any help guys will be Appreciated.

I'm not sure what price range you are looking for or what size you might be interested in but below is some info I had supplied another person a month or so back. There are several good sites out there where you can browse and compare specs.

For the middle of the road with some room for extras such as new lenses and such, I would suggest the new Canon Rebel... my wife and I use Canons and we love them. I grew up taking pictures with a Canon Rebel 35mm. We now have a Canon D30 and a Canon 5D and we love them too. I cant say anything bad about the Nikons because we have never used any of their DSLRs... we have other Photography friends however who do and they love them the same way we do Canon. I actually use a small Nikon Coolpix camera for most of my fishing pics. It's small and easy to use and I can carry it in the boat or my pocket with no problems. However, for what you are wanting, I think the Canon Rebel would be the way to go. It's extremely easy to use and you can buy numerous lenses to handle any situation. I've provided a few links below that may help with your decision. Also, I'm not sure where you are located but if you are anywhere near a Wolf Camera Store, I would highly recommend visiting them. They are great to deal with and can answer just about any question you may have. They also run specials from time to time which could allow you to buy a package and save some money.

https://danstechnstuff.com/2008/04/...sony-alpha-a350-vs-nikon-d60-vs-olympus-e-420

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/989/Digital_Photography.html

https://www.dpreview.com

https://www.wolfcamera.com

Check out the Nikon D40, or D60, or any of the Canon Rebel cameras. When you get up to that level of camera, its more about the lens anyway.

So far My Nikon D60 has been impressive on Auto mode. :LOL2:

I like this guys reviews, because he does not sell anything.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Read his review on the D40 (cheapest) and see how he recommends it over the more expensive ones. He owns them all.

Whenever you spend that kind of coin ($500+) you will get a fairly decent product from any of the big camera manufacturers.

I also purchased my camera online from Newegg.com.....no complaints. They are my favorite electronic/computer retailer.

https://www.newegg.com/

FishingBuds said:
Thanks guys, I'd say its between the cannon rebel and nikon D40 for now, have any of you guys bought an extra lens?

When I purchased my D60 I purchased it with an extra Zoom VR lens. I highly recommend if you get the NIKON to go with the VR (vibration Reduction) lens. Its worth the extra $50 especially when you zoom in for those long shots.

I am not familiar with Canons vibration reduction system, But I am sure they have one too.

Canon does have one. It is called IS for image stabilizer. An important thing to think about when buying a DSLR is to look at the features the higher end models of the brand you are buying have, even if you're buying one of the entry levels. Once you start buying lenses for your camera, you WILL NOT want to switch to a different brand down the road. You will end up spending a ton of money replacing those lenses that you already have. I spent 400+ on a Sigma 105mm Macro lens for my Canon, the Canon Macros start at twice that almost (aside from the 60mm one they make, which gives you no real working distance). That's another thing. Don't be scared of the 3rd party lenses. Sigma's higher end lenses are significantly cheaper than Canon or Nikon's similar lenses, and do just as good of a job most of the time, or especially if photography is a hobby. I am extremely satisfied with both of the Sigma Lenses I have.

Well this is my corner of knowledge, but some already got ahead of me...

At this point, if you are looking for an SLR to be use as a point&shoot, the D40 is your best deal...

I got my D40 from Amazon.com for about $550 and the deal included the kit lens 18-55 and the 55-200 VR, fliters and camera bag. Everything I needed to go out shooting in the wild... I have no complains of this camera so far.

For the regular Joe, the D40/D60 are the same camera, for those who are image quality nuts, the D40 actually has the edge, and for those who like new features and functions, the D60 has a few new things added to it.

Now, when it comes to the Rebel XTi vs the Nikon here is what you have to consider:

1. If your family skin is fairly pale, then either will do just fine.

In my case, I have dark kids and their skin tone come out horrible with Canons due to the fact that Canon's are heavy handed with the Cyan bias. On the other hand, Dark people come out just find with Nikon because this brand then to be bias towards the Magenta side which make dark skin look better.

2. If you are a photo-shop guru who like to spend hours tweaking photos, the the Canon Rebel will serve you better, it produces more flat images that allows you to fine tune them to your own taste and feel. If you are a regular Joe who just want great punchy colors and sharp images out of the box, then the Nikon D40/60 is your camera.

Now, if you just want a disposable camera that is worth every penny when it comes to image quality, then the Canon A590 IS for $129 at Circuit City will serve your wife beautifully... Great little camera to carry around everywhere, and capable of producing excellent images, natures, objects and pale skin people. I do own it and love it althought I don't like the greenish tone it gives my kids skin...

Also, here is the main traditional difference between Canon vs Nikon in the SLR world... Camera Body vs Camera Lens...

Canon are know to produce and arsenal of different lens for all imaginable purpose, great variety and that is why the pro's prefers to invest in Canon because of all the available choices in lens.

Nikon on the other hands are know for the Camera Bodies, better built and more advance functions. With regard Nikon lens, they are just as good as Canon when it comes to built and image quality, but Nikon just doesn't produce as many different styles so a pro using a Nikon system will be more limited to the kind of tools he has available to him for the job at hand.

Now, how does this relates to you, unless you are a dedicated photographer, all you need is the kit lens 18-55mm, very seldom you will find yourself switching lens... So, your case the Canon advantage means nothing, but on the other hand, us American are know to have large size hands, and that is where the Nikon D40/D60 shows the edge, they are a lot more comfortable to hold.

When you just holding the camera for one or two shots, comfort is not an issue, but when you go out on vacation and need to walk 5 blocks taking pictures in Rome, then that is when you will feel the pain and wish you had a better grip camera like the Nikon.

Hope that helps...

Thanks SVNET, awsome info

Thanks for the skin color tip also. Yes we lean on the DarK side(Force :lol: ) I have Indian on my side of the family and the kids take after me on skin color.

The body of the camer was another great tip, mainly for my wife so it seems its comeing down to the Nikon D40 and look for a deal that includes what you recommend, the kit lens 18-55 and the 55-200 VR, fliters and camera, bag. I'll looky and seey for it :lol:

point 2 helped me tremendously

thanks again

You cannot go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. As for lenses, that is where the money comes in if you get real into it. The Nikor VR lenses are great, but it is all in personal taste is you need the VR in Nikon or IS in Canon. I use a 80-200 2.8 at work a lot that is not a VR lens and have no trouble getting tack sharp images with any type of sport. Have also used the 70-200 2.8 L Series from Canon non-IS without any problems. If you practice with your technique, I see no reason spending the extra money for the image stabilization on the lenses. Again, you won't be sorry with either brand as they are both extremely well built camera's.

One thing that may be of use if you go with a Canon is the Rebel series are plastic bodies as is the lower end Nikon's. I think Canon started the metal bodies with the 20D, which also have the 100,000 shutters. The Rebel series have a 50,000 shutter count I think. As for the Nikon's, the D200 and D300 are also metal bodies with maybe 150,000 shutter live.

What I mean by shutter count is basically each manufacture says a shutter replacement would possibly be needed after 50,000 clicks or 100 -150,000 clicks of the shutter. Either way you look at it, will be a long time before the camera reaches that number with normal use.

I wish you well in your search.

Latest posts