Camera advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassAddict

Reaction score
Hey all, since dropping my old $89.00 Kodak c713 camera Iv been looking at buying a new Canon Powershot a590 for my bait photos, with the hopes that itll capture the colors of and glitters in my baits better. For all you photo buffs out there can you tell me if this is a good choice for what I intend it for or would you guys recommend another camera in the $150.00 price range?

Polaroid_SX70.gif

Steve gave it a favorable review

https://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_a590is.html

and Newegg has it for $130 with a ton of favorable reviews

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120256

Well last night I pulled the trigger and bought it for $117.00 w/ free shipping off amazon (Man they almost make impulse buying too easy!!!) after looking at pictures taken from the A590. This was the deciding picture that swung my decision, ill let y'all know my thoughts when i get it.

powershot.jpg

For the price I think this is a huge improvement over my c713

BassAddict said:

is the c713 an Olympus? - nevermind, i should have read your other post saying it was a Kodak

I had a c720 about 4 years ago.. it was only a 3mp, but that was the best picture quality camera I have ever had.. unfortunately I slipped on a dock and it went in the water... funny, I didn't lose the beer I was holding in my other hand

Now I've got a Fujifilm S5000 (had it for 4 years) and it does pretty good. My wife has got that HIGH DOLLAR Canon eos something or other - she won't let me near it, she just let me pay for it.

Im also thinking of getting the Cannon 590 after seeing Mr. Svnet's pictures on Lake Orange made me a believer and after seeing the plant that you posted from the 590 I'm sold dude!! My Kodak 703 which i believe is 7 pixels is a piece of crap, they can go out of business for all i care, I might go looking tomorrow.

shamoo said:
Im also thinking of getting the Cannon 590 after seeing Mr. Svnet's pictures on Lake Orange made me a believer and after seeing the plant that you posted from the 590 I'm sold dude!! My Kodak 703 which i believe is 7 pixels is a piece of crap, they can go out of business for all i care, I might go looking tomorrow.

Too bad your not an online shopper, i think in most stores it retails for $144

BassAddict said:
Well last night I pulled the trigger and bought it for $117.00 w/ free shipping off amazon (Man they almost make impulse buying too easy!!!) after looking at pictures taken from the A590. This was the deciding picture that swung my decision, ill let y'all know my thoughts when i get it.

powershot.jpg

You could not had made a better choice, that is the same camera I got to carry around, the most bang for the money.

CANON Powershot A590 IS.

You wont regret it, enjoy, have fun using it...

For those of you out there looking for a good inexpensive camera, see the article below:

bestdigitalCamera.jpg

BassAddict said:
shamoo said:

Too bad your not an online shopper, i think in most stores it retails for $144

With regard the pictures I post here, sometimes I shoot with my Nikon 5700 which is a stellar classic so make sure the pictures you referring were taken with the 590 IS.

EC.CAN.POWERSHOTA590.CN.JPG

Actually, you don't have to be a net Shopper to get good deals, because the A590 IS is the 2007 model going out, Circuit city sometimes has the A590 IS for $119 locally without having to pay shipping and immediate gratification...

This week Circuit city has it for $129 locally, no shipping charges and you can get it tomorrow morning.
What you do is you pay for it online, and you choose to pick it up at your nearest CC store...
https://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/205246/rpem/ccd/jsp/pdt/pricePopup.jsp

EC.CAN.POWERSHOT2000.CN.JPG

The new 2008 model is the Powershot A2000 IS, pictured above. The main difference is the shape, the new one is less thick so it becomes more pocketable if that is a real word... :wink:

Now, just because the A590 IS is an excellent camera, it doesn't mean that its replacement above will be also a good camera. Actually the 2006 model that the A590 replaced, the A570 IS was not that great of a camera at all, I owned one and exchanged it for the Nikon L11 which turned out to be a stellar camera.

With these cameras you just have to be lucky to buy the correct year because they are not all that consistent in quality...

canon_a570is_3q-001.jpg

Just got back from checking out cameras and it seem like 149.99 was the going price for the cannon, i'm going to wait towards christmas maybe I can pick up a a sale, either way my next camera is going to be the cannon, I might even bump it up a notch to a 10 pixel.

I checked out circuit city on line and they had the canon for 149.99 after a $30.00 savings, thats a bunch of bunk!!! Everyone else had them for the 149.99 regular price.

shamoo said:
I checked out circuit city on line and they had the canon for 149.99 after a $30.00 savings, thats a bunch of bunk!!! Everyone else had them for the 149.99 regular price.

See, you have to watch it, last night (Saturday Night) they had it for $129 online. You could had pay for it online on Saturday up to mid night and then go pick it up at the local store Sunday morning for $129 and being playing with your camera all day today... Just have to act fast...

Today Sunday, it went out of sale, maybe next Sunday will be back done, it goes up and down...

My take on this whole online thing is that market has been exploited already and it has averaged out, so
the actual savings of buying online is not longer advantageous, and on top of that you have to take in account the inconvenience...

If I could find the A590 IS for $97 online shipped from a reputable reseller today or 2mo ego when I got mine, then I would say it would be worth it the risk and inconvenience, but to save $15, I don't bother... I rather get it local and being able to choose the box that is not all beat up, take it home that same day and being able to go play right away...

Last week was a good week to buy the 590 IS, but not this week so just wait until next week, it would be okay if you go without a camera for a week... Support your local business and enjoy the perks of buying local...

I did get my D40 SLR from Amazon because at the time, the deal they had on it was unbelievable, and 1 year later, the local stores are still not able to match that same deal I got, so on those instances, yes, I will do online. I got a D40 Kit, a VR 55-200mm Zoom, a Camera Back, Lens filters, and a free 2008 photo calendar which I had them mail to the grand parents with photos of their grandson for every month of the year, all that for $500 shipped. Now, that is a deal that is hard to come by, but those online days are pretty much over by now... Specially on a $150 item...

Well yesterday I finally got my A590 after waiting a few days for it to be delivered. Good thing too cause it gave me some time to read the user manual and do some research, which I wouldnt have done if i bought it in the store!! All-in-All this was the perfect camera for me, it has a few of the more advanced features that i want to learn, but nothing too complex that would make me want to throw it into the creek. Here was my first bait picture shot in fully manual operation:

a590jb.JPG