Fast Cars & A Mid-Life Crisis Purchase

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowe

Reaction score
Here are some pictures I took this summer at the local drag strip for the owner to use for advertising purposes. Also included in this group of pictures is my fathers mid-life crisis purchase.

race16.jpg

race21.jpg

race24.jpg

race25.jpg

race26.jpg

This picture is of my dad's friends 63 Pro-Mod Corvette. It is owned by Bobby Joe Grubb of Manchester, Kentucky. He was my dads engine builder when he used to race. It trips the 1/8th mile timer in the low 4's with a track record best at Clay City Raceway of 4.21 @ almost 200mph. Not bad for a small block.
bobvette.jpg

Also here is a picture of my fathers mid-life crisis project. Guess he decided he needed this after selling off his drag car. I took the car out one day and took multiple pictures of it for father's day. I had them enlarged and put into a frame as a gift.
ShelbyBase01.jpg

jirwin6985 said:
Nice pictures lowe =D> I always have the problem of putting my finger in the lense or not adjusting the camera correctly for the light. Are you a profesional photographer or just a hobby..
Joe

jirwin6985, I do not consider myself a professional photographer, but I think the description and definition in the photography world that most people use is if you are ever paid for your work, then you are considered professional photographer. My wife and I do photographs on the side when our regular jobs allow it, but we don't really do it as a businesses. You can visit the photography site by visiting https://www.mrandmrssmithphotography.com

We do not advertise the site, but keep tax records when we do portraits for someone. Most of our business comes from word of mouth by others and we have only done a handful of portraits and weddings for others. Everyone says we should advertise more to get more business, but with us both working full-time jobs, we just don't have time to do portrait work on a more regular basis.

So again, I consider myself an avid amateur when it comes to taking pictures, but by definition I would be considered a professional because of the addition of payment for some pictures I have taken.

lowe said:
This picture is of my dad's friends 63 Pro-Mod Corvette. It is owned by Bobby Joe Grubb of Manchester, Kentucky. He was my dads engine builder when he used to race. It trips the 1/8th mile timer in the low 4's with a track record best at Clay City Raceway of 4.21 @ almost 200mph. Not bad for a small block.
bobvette.jpg

That is one quick small block I have seen him run at the Sikeston Dragstrip. He had the track record for a while and may still for a door slammer.

I take a few at the track myself.

IMG_0364copy.jpg

IMG_0380copy.jpg

And then there is this one. I didn't take it cause that's me drivin'. LOL

104_0455.jpg

russ010 said:
I'm not a Ford lover by any means... but that Shelby is one sharp looking car!

Well to be honest with you russ, my father was not a ford man all his life. He started out as a teenager hooked on the old Mopar's. He owned Road Runners, Darts, GTX's, Super Bees and Chargers. If he had of ever owned a Cuda, I would have my grubby hands on it by now. I love those cars.
After the Mopar's, he switched over to Chevrolet's. Owned a 69 Nova up until he built the 1979 Malibu for the drag strip. He ran a 421 cid SB2 small block in it. I think the best it would do on motor was 5.42 through the 1/8th. It weighed with him or me driving, around 2450lbs.
As for the Shelby, he just fell in love with the car when he seen it. It took him several months to decide to buy it. I have driven it several times and it is truly a nice riding and looking car. There was a bullet on the lot to, totally blacked out. I tried to coheres him into getting it but he liked the Shelby the most.

Codeman: Where is the track you are talking about located? I used to travel with them a lot when dad was racing, but now I don't go as much as I used to. Between regular work and the wife's outside work at home, I don't do much of anything but work. LOL

As for the small block. I don't know the cubic inches on it. I am imagining it is way up there. Too pricey for me. They busted a head on the engine the other day, which cost them 7K just for the head. He used to run a 632 cubic inch motor in it last year. It would run down in the mid 4.30's without any NOS. But the small block is unreal. There is a guy down in the deep South named Jason Scruggs I think. He runs a small block that is twin turbos. It runs in the 3.70's. Now that is a real bad small block.

He will be 54 this month Waterwings. He has owned the Shelby since Feb. of this year.

Prob. Scruggs. Last time I saw him, he was running a red '63 vette that was a twin turbo. Don't think Bobby Joe and those guys have been out to MO. to race. Or at least I don't think so.