1996 Tohatsu

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am of no help to you with my limited knowledge in outboards, but if you post more information others may be able to help! There are some pretty knowledgeable people here.

1) Which motor specifically? 2 stroke/4 stroke?

2) Did this motor ever work while you owned it? If so when/what happened when it stopped?

3) Were you able to try/rule out anything yet?

In general engines need spark, fuel, compression, and timing. So that's the list to check. If it cranks I would make sure it is getting fuel and spark first. This is my general knowledge (probably not even correct!) about motors so you would need to look up how to check those online for an outboard. Others may be able to chime in with specifics.

You have one of - if not the - most reliable OB brands ever made, but things do happen. I find these $8-10 inline spark testers in valuable in detecting if any spark while cranking ... works best in low light conditions.

Spark Tester.jpg

If flooded, close the choke and try to start at a high RPM, open up that throttle ... just be ready to close it down if she fires.

With that vast amount of information you provided in your question I am surprised someone hasn't nailed the answer yet..........

Not being mind readers here it may be a good idea if you actually supply a bunch more information and you may be surprised with the answers provided.