Outboard motor match

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starflite58

Reaction score
I have a 1958 Starcraft Starflite 12 foot aluminum boat I am looking to match up with a outboard motor. I cannot find a capacity plate on it. I did find a brochure that recommends 1-7.5 hp and approximate weight of 95 lbs. The transom is solid.
I was looking at a new Honda four stroke 8 hp or 9.9 as I might move up to a 14 foot boat someday. The weight on both of the Hondas is 92 lbs.
Just wondering if these would be too much and become a safety issue.
The boat has been used with a 1968 Johnson 9.5 that I am sure was a lighter motor and it handle fine.
Thanks for any input, I am new to this type of boating.

I think up to a 10hp would do it, but would go 2-stroke, as every 4-S I've ever run @ 15hp and under is an absolute dog on performance ...

We have a Honda 9.9hp 4-S where the Evinrude 8hp 2-S kicks its azz on an identical Carolina skiff hull. Same where the 10hp Johnson 2-S out-performs the same skiff with a Yamaha 15hp 4-S on it, where the Yummie is one HEAVY and slow dog. FWIW we have a fleet of skiffs at my boatclub, so we get to try everything and have races every Summer.

Now I get the low noise and no smoke and am well aware that some places want 4-stroke motors, but gawd they really s#ck in performance!

I would look for an older 15hp evinrude if your going to upgrade in the future.

Not too much for what you have, not too small for a 14' boat.

Just make sure your transom is GTG and the 15 will do you fine.

Around here, the standard for a 12' boat would be a 9.9hp. A few have 15hp but not many. Very few fresh water lakes allow gasoline outboards so this is mostly what's used in tidal water. On smaller freshwater lakes, 4-5hp would be enough.

The 2 stroke will probably be cheaper but I wouldn't think twice about putting a 9 horse 4 stroke on it. There would be a small weight penalty but the motors are smooth and better environmentally.

A 9.9 is usually a detuned 15hp...same weight as a rule. I'd get the 15hp if your nearby waters allow it.

4s's vibrate more. They have little low and mid power compared to the 2s...and who wants to go boating with the equivalent to your lawn mower.

The 4s will generate waste oil. Some folx will and have just let the oil drain into the water. When I had a 4s outboard I had to change oil while the boat was in the water. I was very careful with oil changes but some or a lot of oil ended up in the water.

I bought a small 4s Yamaha in 2006 and despite the constant maintenance the motor as of last year is worn out already...extreme blow-by.

I am glad I no longer own a 4s outboard.

Thank you for all your input. I appreciate honest, unbiased recommendations from people who are not trying to sell me their product. I hope to bring this boat back to where it belongs. I intend on using it on a couple of the Finger Lakes in western NY where there is a 10 hp limit. Thanks again.

Latest posts