question for PAPPY!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboard

Reaction score
I needed to do some repair to the gearbox on a 2004 Johnson 9.9, when I went to install the prop shaft through the clutch dog I could not get the 2 detent balls to seat no matter what, even when using the proper tool. I had the clutch dog all the way down and seated against the gear, finally I decided to raise it to sit on top of the dogs on the gear and it went together. Did I just get lucky or is that how it needs to be done, I didn't see that mentioned in the repair manual or in anything else that I read.

When you pulled the clutch dog back a little bit the dog centered and allowed the detent balls to not be so spring loaded (for lack of a better way to put it). When they are not in the neutral or centered position they seem to have a mind of their own and escape! You did it the correct and easiest way. Been a while since I have looked at the service manual procedure/sequence on that.

Thanks for the reply Pappy. I was going crazy trying to get those detent balls back in the clutch dog, I think the problem was that the clutch dog was too far in and the prop shaft was bottoming out on the thrust washer before the detent balls could engage the retaining slots in the clutch dog and stay in place, yes they escaped a lot! By raising the clutch dog it solved the problem and they snapped into place like they should.
Hope this helps another DUI who runs into the same problem, thanks again!

Latest posts