tahatsu 5 hp propane

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowrider1 said:
Just bought one of these and should be delivered soon. Has anyone used one or the Mercury version...what do you think?
Hate to answer my own question but it arrived and it's pretty white and it fits just fine on my 1240 Lowe. Just got oil today and may be able to get ti wet and broke in soon. I can't be the first person to buy one of these things...but maybe there just aren't that many propane users on this site...we'll see how I like it.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a propane powered outboard out on the lake. I'm not even sure if I would recognize one. I hope you will come back and share your experience with the Tohatsu.

Winter snuck or is that sneaked up on me and I did not get the jon boat and propane engine out on the water. The water is still soft but the air is too darn cold for me...I'll check back in April or May and report performance and ease of operation. I did get the oil in it and hooked up 11 gallon propane tank...2 pulls later and it was running for a few seconds and smelled just like my propane powered generator.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all!!

I'm curious as to how well you think it works out for you, including fuel consumption.

Have safe holidays, and best wishes.

Did I forget about you folks....yip but only until now. I have a bout 8 or 9 hrs on my 5 hp Tahatsu propane on the Lowe 1240. Still on the first 20lb tank and I'd guess it's about half full. GPS speed with my wife and I and lots of stuff to include an ice chest is probably an average of 12 mph at about 3/4 throttle which is my idea of cruise. It is quieter than my 6 hp Johnson 2 stroke and certainly more economical fuel wise using "go brandon" gas prices.

It has brought a lot of people over to see it once they realize it is propane powered. Some shrug and walk away saying I thought you had a stove in there and others are very interested.

Would I do it again...yes sir having had no problems. I want to try it on my 17' Esquif Cargo canoe that I sometimes run a 3.3 Merc and other times a 9.9 Merc and as trolling motor on my1754 jon but it needs a lower mount than the long shaft 6hp I usually use to troll.

It's about 50lbs and I just can't find anything to complain about except sometimes I wish it was a 10 hp but then sometimes I wish my 100 hp Suzuki Bandit had another 25 hp...never happy as my wife frequently comments.

From all that I have read and stories I have followed on propane engines, you should be pleased !!! Havent heard any negative things about propane engines. Just look at all the fork trucks, mail trucks and UPS vehicles that are propane powered !! Hard to believe it took this long to bring them out. Please do keepbus updated.....buy the way..how was the cost compared to a gas version...with low production numbers I woukd assume the were more expensive.....

Latest posts