6 hp Seahorse service questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamar507

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got home after picking up a 6 hp Johnson Seahorse for very cheap. A few questions, if I may.
1. What is a safe way to clean the inner housing, can I use a mild engine cleaner as long as I keep it away from the coil?
2. When we started it the water was flowing very lightly from the pee hole, I checked and there were no clogs in the output line, the intake above the prop did not appear to be clogged. Can I use compressed air in the intake? If I have to replace the water pump how big of a job is it and is there a suggestion as to where to find one?
3. The starting cord is a little worn, what is the best way to replace this? I don't want to get stuck and have to row.
4. The ID plate on the motor is well worn and I would like to figure out the year of the motor somehow so I can get parts easier. Is there a second ID plate concealed on these motors?

I looked through several pages on this forum trying to get the above answers but could not find any.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

As for serial # look on the RH side upper top portion of motor & there should be a 25 cent size frost plug with your #'s stamped in it.As far as the impeller it is a easy fix.I believe it is similar to a 9.9 which has been covered on here.Do a search.

Still can't find a serial number and cannot find the frost plug. The only thing I noticed is on the mount for a transom is 10 13 82. I am guessing it is at least a 1982 but don't know if Johnson just made a bunch of the brackets for later use on the small motors. I'll keep looking so I can at least get a service manual or download from Jim.

1) A mild degreaser will work fine. Carb or Brake cleaner will do an excellent job of cleaning, but will clean the paint right off, so don't use anything that strong

2) Impeller is a simple job. Part should be between 10 and 15 bucks, and can be gotten at iboats.com, once we find the year.

3) Starter cord is a simple thing to replace. Once you download the manual from Jim, it should lead you right through replacing it. Also, it is a good idea to carry a spare pull rope, with a knot in one end, as it can be wrapped around the flywheel to pull start it. This has saved my butt numerous times on both pull start and electric start motors.

4) Keep looking for the freeze plug, and get us some pictures if you can. The number on the transom clamp you found was probably just a casting number.

Thanks for the help. I found the freeze plug last night. It was very well hidden. Anyhow the top number is J6RCRM and the bottom number is E5874267. Does this mean it could be a 1987? On the Johnson parts website it does not have this model number but a model number which is J6CRUD or J6RLCUD. Should the water pump get changed at the same time as the impeller?

You can use the air hose to blow up the pee tube and see if there is any obstructions. We do it all the time and it is by far the easiest way to clear them out.

Does anyone have experience with spark plugs as far as which is better Champion NGK or Bosch for a small hp motor. I use Bosch in all my stuff around the house (lawn equipment and pressure washers). I will be using the motor in mostly salt water if that makes a difference. thanks

Most OMC guys that don't work on anything else will say run Champions, "because you are supposed to." However, those of us that work on other sorts of engines, especially high performance, know that NGKs are better. All I use in just about everything.