Motor for Jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zr7cat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking at getting Polar Kraft 12 foot jon boat for my project. It says 10 hp max for the motor. I was wondering what a good motor choice would be. What does tiller mean? What size shaft? I am looking at a 6, 8, and 9.9 from mercury. I can get them at the bass bro shop. Thanks.

I beleive I would go with the max of 10HP because you will probally add some weight during your project. Tiller means you have a handle on the motor in which you steer the boat. You also have a Remote Control which is set up with a steering wheel and a stick steering that is in the forward part of the boat.

BassNBob said:
I beleive I would go with the max of 10HP because you will probally add some weight during your project. Tiller means you have a handle on the motor in which you steer the boat. You also have a Remote Control which is set up with a steering wheel and a stick steering that is in the forward part of the boat.
agreed. I have a 6HP and many many times I wish I had just a couple more.

Heres a picture to tell you if you need a short/long shaft outboard.
I'm thinking you will need a short shaft but may be wrong.You have to measure your transom(back of the boat).shaft_measure.gif

This boat has a 15" transom, so I am gonna say short shaft. Bass pro shops has an 08 9.9 Mercury for $1813.50 right now.

My 2 cents?
Looks around for a used 9.9 johnson or evinrude 2 stroke. There should be at least a few on craigslist in your area. THey are great engines, even if it is an 80s model, expect years of use. THey are also very light compared to the new 4 strokes, and in a 12' boat you dont need a pile of weight on the transom.

I have a 12' Polar Kraft and have a 6hp Johnson on it now. It is a short shaft and does the job. As I add more weight I think I'll need a little more hp. My Polar Kraft is a 1257 and is a little heavy.

CarlF said:
My 2 cents?
Looks around for a used 9.9 johnson or evinrude 2 stroke. There should be at least a few on craigslist in your area. THey are great engines, even if it is an 80s model, expect years of use. THey are also very light compared to the new 4 strokes, and in a 12' boat you dont need a pile of weight on the transom.

word,

five bills should get you a nice Johhnyrude that will give you years of dependable service

crazymanme2 said:
I agree with the Johnson or Evinrude.Get a 9.9 get a 15hp carb & never look back.
You might have to look back to find the stuff that blew out of the boat when you rocketed down the lake. :lol:

Someone mentioned that the already 20 year old Johnson/Evinrude will get you years of dependable service, but I would say it would get you years more than a brand new Merc.

to add to my previous comment. I paid $250 for my 6HP 65 johnson. all it needed was an impeller, a set of plugs, a set of points and carb rebuid kit. In fact, it really didnt "need" any of it, but I put it in for peace of mind. so for $300 I have a perfectly good engine that runs like a top.

zr7cat said:
This boat has a 15" transom, so I am gonna say short shaft. Bass pro shops has an 08 9.9 Mercury for $1813.50 right now.

If going with a new motor, look at Tohatsu outboards. I bought a 2009 4stroke 9.8hp electric start 15inch shaft from this site a couple months ago. Free Shipping as well. Mine came with a 3 gallon fuel tank and a little tool kit.

https://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-9-8-hp-Outboards.html

I have heard the smaller outboards by mercury are made in the same place, but not 100% sure. I think I read that online somewhere. I also know that the Tohatsu and Nissan are the same motor, just different branding.

I have been looking on craigs list and ebay, This boat is rated for 10hp or 90 pounds on the motor. I noticed that the older 2 stroke 15 hp are less than 90 pounds. Do you guys think that would be ok on there. I would like to get at least an 8 or 9.9 or maybe this 15. I found an older yamaha 15 for $975 They have a 8 hp yamaha 2 stroke at the dealer for $1800 still may get that.

The 15 will be ok weight wise, but you will be over-hp. Only a concern if you get stopped by the man or get in an accident, in which case your insurance wont cover you or anyone else who gets injured.

I've got a 2008 8hp yamaha short shaft on a 12 ft by 4ft wide wooden jon boat.Its a not decked out, two seater, weighs about 125lbs goes like a bat scared out of hell when I am alone in it (235lbs)....when theres two of us it slows down a little, but it still blows the doors off another friend of mine in a plain jane single fiberglass with a 15 hp johnson,,,,

Latest posts