briggs and stratton

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizfawfish

Reaction score
does any one know about the briggs and stratton 5 hp motor. I wanted to put one on my lowe 1236 jon and don't know if this is a reliable motor. Any info will help thanks.

I have one on a 1432 Alumacraft jon. I am very pleased with it. I am not able to race across the water but it gets me to where I want to go and uses very little gas. I will tell you of an experience I had about 2 months ago that I am certainly not proud of but I think will attest to the durability of the motor. As I was trying to put boat back on trailer rather than stop the engine, I gave it more gas and the boat hit one of the guide-ons and turned the boat over. Yes, I was in the water and the boat was upside down. The motor obviously filled with water so I drained the oil, pulled the sparkplug, disconnected the fuel lines and blew them all out with air, even the combustion chamber. Let it sit overnight and put everything back together with new oil and new gas. On the 3rd pull of the chord the motor started. I have since had it on the lake several times and have had no problems. So, in my opinion, the Briggs and Stratton 5 hp motor is a good motor and will give you good service. Easy to work on when you abuse it with bonehead moments such as I had.

Everything I have heard about them has been that they are good reliable set-ups but heavier then other options in the same hp rating. If you get one at a good price you will be more then pleased and it will serve you well.

I had one for a while on my boat, and it was very reliable. I have since put an evinrude 8hp on it and love it. Only problem I had with the briggs was it was so much louder almost like a lawnmower on the water.

there nice and reliable motors but sound like a lawnmower. and are LOUDD!!!!! they are so loud because the exhaust is above water as opposed to most motors where the exhaust is underwater. i like them because they are completely air cooled not like eska or gamefisher where only the powerhead is aircooled and the exhaust leg is watercooled

I LOVE to hear that these little motors seem to be bulletproof :D ! I thought they would be cool mounted to the back of my (future) Alumacraft 17' Canoe, or as a backup for my (yet to be cracked into) dying Johnson. Anybody have pictures of the motor mounted to their boat or video of the motor running???

AlumaDude said:
I LOVE to hear that these little motors seem to be bulletproof :D ! I thought they would be cool mounted to the back of my (future) Alumacraft 17' Canoe, or as a backup for my (yet to be cracked into) dying Johnson. Anybody have pictures of the motor mounted to their boat or video of the motor running???

It's too heavy for a canoe. I had a 3hp johnson on the back of my 17' wenonah for a while. I wouldn't want anything much heavier then that.

Thanks for the video PBW. By the way what did use for decking and how did you do it.

Watched the vid. It looks like it moves you at a resonable clip. It might be a viable option :D ! I wonder if it would be possible to have somebody weld up an exhaust dump underwater to quiet the noise, or if that would even work? Also what about some thick heavy rubber (layers of innertubes?) to help with the vibration? I like it!!! =D>

AlumaDude said:
Watched the vid. It looks like it moves you at a resonable clip. It might be a viable option :D ! I wonder if it would be possible to have somebody weld up an exhaust dump underwater to quiet the noise, or if that would even work? Also what about some thick heavy rubber (layers of innertubes?) to help with the vibration? I like it!!! =D>
I'd think it would cause too much back pressure, therefore reducing the power output since it wasn't designed for it.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THE DRAGRACES AND SEEN A JR DRAGSTER THE CAN MAKE 5HP BRIGGS PUT OUT LIKE 30HP LOOK IN TO ONE OF THOSE INTAKE AND CARBS AND TAKE THE MUFFLER OFF AND PUT A JRS HEADER PIPE ON IT THEN SEE WHAT US EVINRUDE GUYS AND GALS SAY ABOUT IT THEY WILL HERE U COMING FOR A MILE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: THEY ARE VERY TUF KEEP THE OIL CHANG ON IT I WOULD SAY THAT BRIGGS WILL RUN FOR YEARS :wink:

that link really helped me a alot PBW. How do you like that edge? Its what I was thinking about putting on when I get my deck done.

Latest posts