Tapatalk has been disabled due to being incompatible with the current version of the forum software. Will be re-enabled once it's fixed.

First OB

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
VBTravisD

First OB

Post by VBTravisD »

I am on the hunt for an outboard for my 14 footer. This would be my first outboard. There is a guy selling one locally on CL, this is from the ad...

"5 hp Sears Gamefisher outboard motor, starts and runs well. Newly rebuilt carb, new prop. Great condition, other than the shift handle is missing. $100"

Does that seem like a good deal to yall? I take it that the shift handle is the steering/throttle handle. How expensive/difficult to find is that part?

How long do these motors run? I am going to pick up a 6 gallon and wanted to get an idea of how long 6 gallons of gas would last me. Sorry to ask so many newbie questions, but I would appreciate any knowledge yall could send my way!

thanks!
ever feel like a worm on the end of a big hook?

jasper60103

First OB

Post by jasper60103 »

I can't comment on the deal, but I would expect a 5hp to sip gas. 6 gallons should be plenty for
a day or two. A lot guys use 3 gal tanks for that size motor.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

Brine

First OB

Post by Brine »

The shift handle is probably on the side of the motor and has nothing to do with the throttle. It simply puts the motor in neutral, or Forward. (I doubt the motor has a reverse). 6 Gallons of gas would probably run the Mississippi upstream with that motor. :D I have an 80's model 5hp and 15hp Gamefisher. My 5 runs great and I would probably get $250-$300 for it in Atlanta.

Loggerhead Mike

First OB

Post by Loggerhead Mike »

i'd recomend staying away from sears motors..

had 3 so far, all problem childs

crazymanme2

First OB

Post by crazymanme2 »

Sounds like a good price.You could make a shift lever.I always check compression before buying a motor.
Craig
Be Who You Are
And Say What You Feel
Because Those That Mind ....Don't Matter
And Those Who Matter....Don't Mind

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

First OB

Post by bassboy1 »

Good price, but I personally would stay away from Gamefishers.

VBTravisD

First OB

Post by VBTravisD »

So I snagged an old Eska 7 hp for 20 bucks...

It was well kept and is very clean even had all the old stickers on it... I replaced all the 1/4" fuel lines, cleaned the fuel shutoff valve and the petcock in the tank. I pulled the choke and set it in the middle on the idle knob... a little starter fluid and I can get it to fire, but it cuts off right after it burns the starter fluid off... any thoughts? Am I going to have to take off the carb and clean that out too? What about the little needle valve on the bottom of the carb bowl?

I suck with little 2 stroke motors (lawnmower...gokart... outboard)... so any help would be appreciated!

VBTravisD

First OB

Post by VBTravisD »

Also, anyone know where I can get a bench manual for this thing!?!?

lckstckn2smknbrls

First OB

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

You don't want to use starting fluid on a 2 stroke motor it doesn't have any lubrication for the motor. Try spraying fuel oil mix in the carb.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

VBTravisD

First OB

Post by VBTravisD »

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:You don't want to use starting fluid on a 2 stroke motor it doesn't have any lubrication for the motor. Try spraying fuel oil mix in the carb.
Fricken rookie maneuver... #-o

Rodnocker

First OB

Post by Rodnocker »

VBTravisD wrote:So I snagged an old Eska 7 hp for 20 bucks...
I need to shop, where you shop

VBTravisD

First OB

Post by VBTravisD »

Welp, took off the carb, douched the hell outta it and it runs great now! Before I run this thing too much... there has to be some place for the prop to be oiled correct? Where do I add oil to the lower unit?

Captain Ahab

First OB

Post by Captain Ahab »

VBTravisD wrote:Welp, took off the carb, douched the hell outta it and it runs great now! Before I run this thing too much... there has to be some place for the prop to be oiled correct? Where do I add oil to the lower unit?
Here is some good info already posted on this subject - it is a simple job

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... r+unit+oil

And another:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... r+unit+oil
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

commandohorn

First OB

Post by commandohorn »

Sounds like your carburetor isn't carbureting! Yep, clean that too, those carbs are real basic. A $20 motor will buy you a lot of frustration though I might add.....been there done that, and at the end I would have paid $100 not to have experienced it!

Sorry....late reply
14' Gamefisher (Sold) Now 10' Jon "Mini Hooker" [4 HP Johnson Deluxe & MK 43lb TM on the front]

joepowe8

First OB

Post by joepowe8 »

That sounds like a good deal. I don't know much but I have rebuilt a few two stroke dirt bikes and outboards. There should be a reed valve that goes between the carb and block. make sure that is clean and not worn out looking. I don't really know how it works, but I do know that it needs to work.

Good Luck!