First OB

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBTravisD

Reaction score
I am on the hunt for an outboard for my 14 footer. This would be my first outboard. There is a guy selling one locally on CL, this is from the ad...

"5 hp Sears Gamefisher outboard motor, starts and runs well. Newly rebuilt carb, new prop. Great condition, other than the shift handle is missing. $100"

Does that seem like a good deal to yall? I take it that the shift handle is the steering/throttle handle. How expensive/difficult to find is that part?

How long do these motors run? I am going to pick up a 6 gallon and wanted to get an idea of how long 6 gallons of gas would last me. Sorry to ask so many newbie questions, but I would appreciate any knowledge yall could send my way!

thanks!

I can't comment on the deal, but I would expect a 5hp to sip gas. 6 gallons should be plenty for
a day or two. A lot guys use 3 gal tanks for that size motor.

The shift handle is probably on the side of the motor and has nothing to do with the throttle. It simply puts the motor in neutral, or Forward. (I doubt the motor has a reverse). 6 Gallons of gas would probably run the Mississippi upstream with that motor. :D I have an 80's model 5hp and 15hp Gamefisher. My 5 runs great and I would probably get $250-$300 for it in Atlanta.

So I snagged an old Eska 7 hp for 20 bucks...

It was well kept and is very clean even had all the old stickers on it... I replaced all the 1/4" fuel lines, cleaned the fuel shutoff valve and the petcock in the tank. I pulled the choke and set it in the middle on the idle knob... a little starter fluid and I can get it to fire, but it cuts off right after it burns the starter fluid off... any thoughts? Am I going to have to take off the carb and clean that out too? What about the little needle valve on the bottom of the carb bowl?

I suck with little 2 stroke motors (lawnmower...gokart... outboard)... so any help would be appreciated!

You don't want to use starting fluid on a 2 stroke motor it doesn't have any lubrication for the motor. Try spraying fuel oil mix in the carb.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You don't want to use starting fluid on a 2 stroke motor it doesn't have any lubrication for the motor. Try spraying fuel oil mix in the carb.

Fricken rookie maneuver... #-o

Welp, took off the carb, douched the hell outta it and it runs great now! Before I run this thing too much... there has to be some place for the prop to be oiled correct? Where do I add oil to the lower unit?

Sounds like your carburetor isn't carbureting! Yep, clean that too, those carbs are real basic. A $20 motor will buy you a lot of frustration though I might add.....been there done that, and at the end I would have paid $100 not to have experienced it!

Sorry....late reply

That sounds like a good deal. I don't know much but I have rebuilt a few two stroke dirt bikes and outboards. There should be a reed valve that goes between the carb and block. make sure that is clean and not worn out looking. I don't really know how it works, but I do know that it needs to work.

Good Luck!

I don't really know how it works

when you take the reed block out, shine a light on the back side. no light should be seen around the reeds, they need to be flush with the "cage". if they arnt, gently bend them in. finding new ones or used reeds in better condition than yours is probably going to be tuff. reeds are like the valves on a 4stroke, they're supposed to open and close with vacuum on piston strokes

Am I going to have to take off the carb and clean that out too?

pull your carb off. blow threw the fuel nipple. you should be able to blow threw
now flip the carb upside down gently, and blow threw the gas nipple (blow gently, only about 2psi). you shouldnt be able to blow threw. this means your float is set correctly and jets arnt blocked, though they still may have a restriction

the biggest problem i had with my motor was blowing them stupid designed pump fuel diaphrams

Like I said, I took off the carb and got it running. It fires up on the 1st or 2nd pull. I am afraid to run it too long without it being in some water. Here are some pictures of the motor. When I removed the bottom and drain the oil it looked like chocolate pudding... yuck. I removed the fill screw and filled it up to till it came out of the fill hole. I ran it really quick and looked down and saw muddy fluid leaking out of some of the holes... that normal?

Attachments

• Whats this.JPG
    Whats this.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 1,185
  • ESKA.JPG
    ESKA.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Controls.JPG
    Controls.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Cover off.JPG
    Cover off.JPG