Stainless prop vs aluminum prop?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 25 hp merc on my 14' polarkraft flat bottom. I noticed the aluminum prop has a few dings in it, so I will file off the rough spots for now. I do want to get a new prop before next boating season, and I was wondering what the advantages are from SS to AL? I heard the SS is faster but AL gives more in the rocks. I will mostly be in sandy bottom lakes and rivers. Also, where is the best online source for props?

Thanks,
navybluejacket

You heard correctly.

If I dealt with a lot of rocks, I would stick to aluminum. You can't beat ss for holding up in sand and soft bottoms, though. I run ss on my Triton and aluminum on my Polarkraft, only because I don't want to spend the $ for ss on the 18 horse. The sand and mud during duck season wear away the prop on the 18 horse but don't phase the ss on the big boat.

Dan's Discount was about the cheapest on the net the last time that I was pricing props.

https://www.dansdiscountprops.com/

I run an alum prop and I have a mack's river runner so I don't really worry about running in shallow water.

SS has less flex so you get more from the motor - but look at the cost difference - and if you hit a rock with your SS you are DONE!

$219.99 for the SS at Cabelas

$39.99 for the Aluminum

but the SS prop looks cool I had one on my 15 hp yammy and it was much better off the line than the guys with the aluminum props

it is all about the speed and looks..

now the down side......
I just dropped off my boat to have my lower unit rebuilt/replaced depending on the damage. I a hoping to have it covered by my insurance then I need to have my prop reconditioned I may get a new one and use this as a spare.. total cost around 2k parts and labor

Redbug is correct about the cost of SS props. I run in a lot of submerged timber and the AL gives if I hit something (usually stumps). I know guys who run here and have SS and have had to shell out several $$ to repair the lower units.

Ummm....yeah. I didn't realize the price of SS vs AL. I can buy a lot of AL props for the cost of SS. Is there an AL prop that has better performance, or are they all about the same?

Thanks for the help.

navybluejacket said:
Ummm....yeah. I didn't realize the price of SS vs AL. I can buy a lot of AL props for the cost of SS. Is there an AL prop that has better performance, or are they all about the same?

Thanks for the help.

There are all different types and the one that will give you the best performance is one that is best matched with your engine, hull type and total displacement

What do you mean by performance? Top speed?, Hole Shot?, Best GPH?

Captain Ahab said:
navybluejacket said:

Thanks for the help.

There are all different types and the one that will give you the best performance is one that is best matched with your engine, hull type and total displacement

What do you mean by performance? Top speed?, Hole Shot?, Best GPH?

Top speed.

It is hard to do anything other than get in the ballpark of a top performing prop without a tach on your motor and a willingness to swap props until you find the best one.

That being said, they really do not offer much in the way of performance props for motors under 40hp.

Latest posts