Motor bogs down

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ram

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has any info on my little problem. My 25 hp Mercury starts fine and idles fine, but as soon as I give it some gas, it wants to stall and takes a while to finally kick in. Once I get it going, it doesn't seem to have the power that it used to.

My one buddy who's into motorcycles, said it could most likely be a gummed up carburetor and if I clean it good, it should help solve the problem. Any thoughts?

pull your plug and see what color it is

if the motors starving for fuel it should be a whiter color, vise versa.

cleaning the carb never hurts, especially with the junk fuel we got today

If you don't mind me asking...what plug are you referring too?

Bad/old fuel was another of the problems that we suggested could be a contributing factor. Unfotunately, I had the same fuel in the gas tank for a while, without it being treated.

both your spark plugs. check for heavy carbon deposites, and note the color. a nice lighter brown is pretty ideal, very dark would indicate a rich, and whiter color indicates a lean condition (to much air and not enough fuel)

after you check them clean them with a wire brush

i'd recomend draining the fuel and getting a carb kit when you go to clean it.

Thanks! Lots of good information!

I already took care of the fuel problem and got rid of all it. I'm starting fresh next season with proper fuel stabilizer.

I've taken my plugs out earlier on in the season and they seemd a little on the darker side, so I must be running it too rich.

A new carb kit isn't a bad idea either.

Does anyone know if all carb cleaners are considered equal, or are some better than others? I bought a can of Gunk Carb Cleaner - should this do the job?

Be careful with using additives - especially on an older motor - some can do real damage to your seals and plastic parts

Are your fuel lines airtight? Can you pump up the fuel bulb so that it is hard and does it stay hard? Is the vent open on your gas tank?

Yeah, everything seems to be air tight, and the primer bulb stays rock hard while it's running. The vent is also open on my gas tank. The motor is a 2003 (I've only owned it for 2 years) and has run good until now. That's why I'm thinking that maybe it's something internal and it just needs a little cleaning.

Also, does anyone know exactly what is included in a carburetor kit? What should I be looking for when ordering one?

You can try the Seafoam first and maybe you will get lucky.

Most times you wind up tearing the carb(s) down for a good cleaning.

Once you get the carb(s) clean, using a fuel additive/stabilizer in every tank will help keep the problem from happening again.

Thanks guys, lots of good help and information.

I'll most likely just take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning. I don't think it's ever been done before and I need something to do to pass the time during these long winter months.

Other than the carb, is there anything else that I need to look at, or clean while I'm working on my motor? Or is the carb, most likely the only thing that gets gummed up and needs cleaning?

The carb is the biggest thing. Sometimes motors with several hours or a lot of idling on them can stand a good decarbon.

You can do that with Seafoam or the last time I replaced a head gasket on my little motor, I did it by hand.

Latest posts