what is the right hp motor for me!?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarasota_brad

Reaction score
10ft landau jon boat i dont have all that much to spend but i use this boat in the ocean and i dont want to be underpowered and add to much weight to the boat. what would be the best bet for me?

i live in sarasota florida the gulf is pretty much a lake. i only use the boat when its super calm out and stay way clear of big boats and little waves haha

I used to own a 12' jon boat with a 4 hp motor. It got me from spot to spot (eventually), but I wouldn't want to be caught out with that set up in a storm. It was pretty slow!

when i lived in florida my older bro had a 5hp on his 10 footer.

theres a pretty popular spot for people to swim by st.pete pear. you can go out a hundred or so yards from the seawall and it was only 5-6 feet deep. we'd pull up while people were swimming, cast out and no more than 5-10 min later black tips were pulling our boat around. watching them people jump out of the water was priceless when that happend

I have a 12' Jon that I use in saltwater it has a 6hp on it and I get around fine. You have to be careful out in the gulf though. I stick to the mangroves and canals. Good luck

I had a 7.5 HP on my old 10 footer, I think it was stickered for 6 HP tho. It moved around pretty good, that was before GPS, but it proly ran 13-15 mph.

Latest posts