Tapatalk has been disabled due to being incompatible with the current version of the forum software. Will be re-enabled once it's fixed.

Fuel mixture for Evinrude

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
hamar507

Post by hamar507 »

Took my tinboat out today and noticed alot of fuel/oil smoke coming out of my 6 hp Evinrude. It is an older motor and has recenly all been re-done. My question is with a 50 to 1 fuel mixture is that too much? Could it be reduced to say 45 or 40 to 1 and not affect the motor. I use a Yamalube 2 stroke oli recommended by the mechanic and the fuel was fresh.

I have messed with the lean/rich knob and the motor runs great, is this something that is common in the older Evinrudes. The motor is a 1976. Thanks

crazymanme2

Post by crazymanme2 »

1976 is 50:1.You usually run a little richer for break in, but after that 50:1.
Craig
Be Who You Are
And Say What You Feel
Because Those That Mind ....Don't Matter
And Those Who Matter....Don't Mind

alumacraftjoe

Post by alumacraftjoe »

Might just be burning off stuff from the re-do.. I know mine did the first time out after I had carbs redone. I have a 92, but it is 50-1 also.
Joe Maione
Jeffersonville, IN
http://jigsbyjoe.blogspot.com/

wasilvers

Post by wasilvers »

I have an 89 50hp and mix it to 50:1 - she smokes quite a bit at lower rpms.

Smoke is ok for a 2 cycle, it means it's getting oil, right?
Will - Originally from Texas, now fishing for Bass in Wisconsin
1978 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine rebuilt in 2009

Captain Ahab

Post by Captain Ahab »

wasilvers wrote:I have an 89 50hp and mix it to 50:1 - she smokes quite a bit at lower rpms.

Yep! I always go with the theory that it is better to have too much oil then not enough. I understand that too much oil in the gas might result in fouled plugs or carbon build up. It is also my understanding that too little oil will result in a seized or damaged motor.

I can deal with changing plugs or a de-carbonization if need be
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

KMixson

Post by KMixson »

Captain Ahab wrote:
wasilvers wrote:I have an 89 50hp and mix it to 50:1 - she smokes quite a bit at lower rpms.

Yep! I always go with the theory that it is better to have too much oil then not enough. I understand that too much oil in the gas might result in fouled plugs or carbon build up. It is also my understanding that too little oil will result in a seized or damaged motor.

I can deal with changing plugs or a de-carbonization if need be

True statements. My 1975 9.9 Evinrude smokes at low rpm's also. I do not let it bother me. It is good to know it is getting enough oil.