Anyone need help with prices on motors i'm here.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Nice offer - thank you.

How does geographical location effect the value / price of an outboard motor? i.e. Is the same motor worth more or less in California then it is in Wisconsin?

I have a 2004 Mercury 4 stroke 5 HP I wanna sell. It belongs to friend of mine and he bought it for his 14 footer before he had a stroke. After the stroke he can no longer boat alone and has sold the hull but still has the motor and wants to sell it. I have volunteered to sell it. It probably has less than 10 hours on it and looks brand new, the skeg isn't even dinged. I was thinking of putting it on craigslist for $700. It starts on second pull every time and idles and runs great.

Do you think $700 is too much?

I know this is a little different then asking about buying one, but I figured you would know if I was way off base or not.

Keep in mind that location plays a huge part in small outboard prices. I just sold my 1996 Nissan 9.9hp 2 stroke for $1500 in Alabama, then I bought a 2006 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke for $1600 the same day. Not a bad upgrade for $100, huh? A 9.9hp motor like that is only worth about $800 here in memphis, but in ceratain areas of Alabama, its worth its weight in gold. Local lake HP restrictions make certain motors more desirable that others. A 25hp motor in the same area in Alabama isnt worth a hill of beans because the local lake has a 10hp limit.

boater1234 said:
Not bad because u took little money out of your pocket,but u can get a brand new 2010 25 2stroke yamaha at gootees.com for $2195+$150 for shipping that is the steal of a lifetime.

True, but that is $745 that I dont have. The motor I bought has less than 5 hours on it. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal.

I have a 1975 40 hp jonny can I use the synthetic oil for this or will it harm the system? I have been told both ways, but both of the people who said to go ahead and use the synthetic were ansoil dealers and they seem to have a vested interest

I'm pretty sure that boater1234 puts synthetic on his cereal and has it plumbed throughout his house, so you should be fine. :lol:

I know you mainly deal with smaller motors. I have this motor that i got when i bought my trailer. They just left the old glass boat and motor. I dumped the boat and ripped the motor off to sell. Dont really know the last time it ran but it looks pretty clean.

I am not a motor guy at all. Should I take it to a marine mechanic and see what they say or should I just through it on CL or Kijiji. Question is how much.

It is cable steer. dont know if it has power trim/tilt. I think the lower unit should be worth money even if the motor does not run.

153.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

156.jpg

cali27 said:
I know you mainly deal with smaller motors. I have this motor that i got when i bought my trailer. They just left the old glass boat and motor. I dumped the boat and ripped the motor off to sell. Dont really know the last time it ran but it looks pretty clean.

I am not a motor guy at all. Should I take it to a marine mechanic and see what they say or should I just through it on CL or Kijiji. Question is how much.

It is cable steer. dont know if it has power trim/tilt. I think the lower unit should be worth money even if the motor does not run.

153.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

156.jpg

Craigslist will be your friend. The marinas won't give you the time of day for it. If it doesn't sell whole, offer to sell parts off of it.

jarheadsgt said:
I have a 1975 40 hp jonny can I use the synthetic oil for this or will it harm the system? I have been told both ways, but both of the people who said to go ahead and use the synthetic were ansoil dealers and they seem to have a vested interest

You can, but I wouldn't waste the money. I ran a quart of syn. in my '75 40 'Rude, after I won the oil (Royal Purple) in a raffle. Noticed less smoke, but that is about the extent of it.

boater1234 said:
Yes jarhead use synthetic oil for your motor not only does it have less smoke it protects your engine better.It has been proven over and over again to protect better.

Here we go again... :roll:

I have a 1964 Johnson FD-18E - remote with electric start and choke. I don't know if it runs yet but the compression is ok. I will probably be selling the motor to get a bigger one for my runabout project.

https://208.131.146.117/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14501&sid=dbb0fa9ff12b47d1d95a78bb5c98c325

I have already had some interest in the motor as-is but have no idea whether this specific motor is common or not and what it might be worth. I assume if I get it running and clean it up it will bring more $ but am not sure if it would be worth my time as I will be selling it anyway. Any opinions?

boater1234 said:
Hey cali i don't really know what that motor would be worth but a new one back in the day would run u about $4300 to $5300 that i do know.So i would say put it on craigslist for $1000obo and leave it there for about 2 to 4 days and see what happens if u get a few hits then more then likely u are right around the price u need to be at.

If u are not getting a bite then lower it slowly at a $100 a pop to u get some calls and then u will know were u need to be.The most important thing is to try to find out if everything works,does it turn over,does it get spark,and if yes to both does it pee good water,does the trim and tilt work if all this is good then a good working motor of that size u should get a $1000 or close to it easy.Check the lower unit oil and it will probally need change also.If u don't want to mess with all that then just try to unload it for $500 to a $1000.I would say it is a late 80's motor to early 90's the latest.You won't get much out of it but something is better then nothing.Good luck.

That motor is a 1977. You'd have to find a sucker that doesn't know the ins and outs of outboards to sell that for more than 500, in my area at least. I'm not saying it's a bad motor, but the larger motors just aren't what the smaller motors are in terms of longevity, and ability to hold their value. Could be worth more in parts, but you'll have to be the one to part it out, and market them. Someone buying the whole thing for parts probably won't pay near that much.

Latest posts