Is my motor done?????? New Motor!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
Think I found the culprit of my motor problems. The engine started acting up again today. It was the first time I ran it without the gumout in the tank so at first I thought it was the carbs. Well then I ran it at home and found this.

A bolt broke off because it was rusted, and I found water was already leaking where it was supposed to make a seal. Now half of the bolt is still in the motor. There is a steady stream from the bolt hole and the gasket. Is there any hope or am I just stuck. Could I use jbweld?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• motor 001.jpg
    motor 001.jpg
    846.7 KB · Views: 1,328
  • motor 002.jpg
    motor 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,328
  • motor 003.jpg
    motor 003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,328
Take it somewhere and let them get the rest of the bolt out. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

They may have to drill it out and helicoil it.

I guess the real question is whether its worth sinking any more money into this POS motor. It looks like it is almost shot and has been in the salt water.

Jason

Of course drilling it is the best solution if you can get the bolt out, but that can be difficult. I have had the nearly the same bolt on my motor break off, although in my case it did not leak. I filled it full of RTV sealant and its held for a couple years. Motor runs ok, little wheezy sometimes but as long as it runs I'm not gonna rock the boat. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to go with the least intrusive idea first, which is sealing it with JB or RTV, if it works, great, if not they can easily drill that out too.

Any motor that runs or did run recently isn't a POS except by comparison. Whether or not you are in position to spend money on a better motor is just up to your bottom line. I do know that there are tons of people who run and swear by older OMCs because they are pretty reliable and very easy to work with. I have worked on my current motor, which is a 86 johnson, and mid 80s merc and a later 90s mariner and an early 60s evinrude and the merc and the mariner where way more difficult than the old but simple johnson.

Attachments

• IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,314
u might wanna take that 2 a lawnmower shop due 2 the fact that it is aircooled and has a lawnmower-like powerhead. i know most marine shops dont take aircooled engines because i took my gamefisher motor to 4 or 5 different marine shops and got pretty much the same answer at all of them. but thats just a FEW shops AROUND HERE so up ur way could b completely different, i dont know all i know is what they told me and that was "most marine shops dont work on aircooled motors". :(

free jonboat said:
u might wanna take that 2 a lawnmower shop due 2 the fact that it is aircooled and has a lawnmower-like powerhead. i know most marine shops dont take aircooled engines because i took my gamefisher motor to 4 or 5 different marine shops and got pretty much the same answer at all of them. but thats just a FEW shops AROUND HERE so up ur way could b completely different, i dont know all i know is what they told me and that was "most marine shops dont work on aircooled motors". :(
I think you missed the part about the steady stream of water coming from the bolt.
I would at least take it to a shop and ask for a ballpark figure about drilling the bolt out

I had a similar problem on one of my old outboards. I took the whole cover off and found that there was room to drill the bolt out and tap new threads for the next larger bolt, not pretty but it works.

redbug said:
free jonboat said:
I think you missed the part about the steady stream of water coming from the bolt.
I would at least take it to a shop and ask for a ballpark figure about drilling the bolt out

ohhhh. didnt pay attention 2 that part, i was texting, talking 2 my mom, eating nachos, and reading this #-o

Tried to loosen the rest of the bolts. Had about a 50% success rate. Its really hard to get to the bottom ones so I guess this motor will be salvaged. The carbs are brand new so maybe I can sell a few parts for my new motor fund. Until then my boat will sit in the garage lonley. :(

If you have a steady stream of water coming from the hole the gasket needs to be replaced also. I would take it in and have a new gasket and new bolts installed into it. If that bolt rusted in two I would not trust that the others are not in the same shape.

My dad was a farmer and like most farmers tried everything short of going to the shop to keep things going. He could fix anything with bailing wire and electrical tape. He swore by the use of brake fluid to get rusted or stuck bolts loose. He always had an oil can of it around and squirted a liberal amount on the offending nut/bolt. He would usually give another dose or two and 24 hours to do its thing. This or another solvent to help loosen the broken bolt and an easy-out might do the trick and is worth trying before you give it up or take it to the shop. WTL's advice Any motor that runs or did run recently isn't a POS except by comparison is good.

You may have to pull the power head to get to the bottom bolts...but this is just about 6 bolts on most motors. It is worth a little more work if it has been running pretty good. Drill it out and tap it to fit a bolt 1 size bigger....you loose nothing if you are thinking about parting it out any way. I think with a little time you will have a good usable motor again. Along with plenty of WD40 or transmission fluid...Good Luck.

Flintcreek

Flintcreek

flintcreek said:
You may have to pull the power head to get to the bottom bolts...but this is just about 6 bolts on most motors. It is worth a little more work if it has been running pretty good. Drill it out and tap it to fit a bolt 1 size bigger....you loose nothing if you are thinking about parting it out any way. I think with a little time you will have a good usable motor again. Along with plenty of WD40 or transmission fluid...Good Luck.

Flintcreek

Flintcreek

How do you tap it for a larger bolt?

i'd say 200 and go from there

drilling and tapping a bolt is not all that difficult, esp with the retractors and diff tools out now.. I'd say your looking at an hour labor charge from a shop

if you want to try and tackle it soak the bolt in pb blaster for 2 days, giving it a new squirt every so many hours. Go get you some left handed drill bits and you've got a chance at getting it out

Loggerhead Mike said:
i'd say 200 and go from there

drilling and tapping a bolt is not all that difficult, esp with the retractors and diff tools out now.. I'd say your looking at an hour labor charge from a shop

if you want to try and tackle it soak the bolt in pb blaster for 2 days, giving it a new squirt every so many hours. Go get you some left handed drill bits and you've got a chance at getting it out

Not really worth my time. Im ready for something a little more reliable that would be easier to work on. I need something with less issues. If I can get 200 i'll take it.

Troutman3000 said:
Not really worth my time. Im ready for something a little more reliable that would be easier to work on. I need something with less issues. If I can get 200 i'll take it.

I hear this! Take the money and run!

Latest posts