Found a Motor to Buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcritch

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Used 9.9 Motor for my 1448 Joan Boat. I found this motor and wanted to know what you guys thought?

1996 Nissan 9.9 very clean and runs like new looking to get around$700
2 Stroke... Short Shaft

I thought I had heard that those nissan 9.9's are the same motor as the 15, only with a governor. May be wrong on that, good motor though.

Why a 9.9?

A good buddy has a 9.9 on his 1448. With gear and two guys in the boat, it doesn't even come close to planing out. If your restricted, I can understand, however you can pick up a 20+hp model for about the same or not much more, and will actually be able to cover some water with it.

Rick James said:
Why a 9.9?

A good buddy has a 9.9 on his 1448. With gear and two guys in the boat, it doesn't even come close to planing out. If your restricted, I can understand, however you can pick up a 20+hp model for about the same or not much more, and will actually be able to cover some water with it.

Good point, but odds are that he's fishing in HP restricted lakes. If no HP restrictions, then obviously go with the most HP allowed.

Rick James said:
Why a 9.9?

Most of the New Jersey Lakes I fish are small compared to other areas of the country. I may also fish a few local lakes that do have a 9.9 Restriction. I would definitely like a bigger motor to fly around with, but the Lakes in this area would not allow me to use a bigger motor to it's full potential.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.....

Ictalurus said:
I thought I had heard that those nissan 9.9's are the same motor as the 15, only with a governor. May be wrong on that, good motor though.

can I take the governor off? :lol:

i dont beleave their goverened, i thaught i read the 9.9's just have a smaller carb but same powerhead? dont quote me on that

That motor is probably a mid 80's model. Mid 90's are painted gray. Nissan/Tohatsu's just have a serial # so its really difficult to find out what year they are. I may be wrong but I doubt it. Maybe you can use the age of the motor as a bargaining chip. Tell the Seller to prove its a 1996 and if he can't he has to knock $200 off the price.

I have a Nissan 9.8hp on my 12' flat bottom. It is an early 2001 model but I have no complaints. The motor is very solid and it cranks on the first pull every time.