Evinrude 9.5hp no spark

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbasser

Reaction score
OK so I'm at a loss on this motor right now. I installed a fuel pump kit and cleaned out the carb. The motor runs but very rough. I narrowed it down to the top cylinder not having any spark. The lower cylinder has a very bright, strong spark. I popped off the the flywheel and the coils, condensers, and points look brand new. I tested the coils for resistance and both tested out fine(both windings). I checked the plug wires for resistance and they were both fine. I then switched the coils, installed the flywheel and still same result. Bottom spark top none. I then switched the condensers and cleaned the contacts on the points and tried again. Again same result. :roll:

Not sure what it could be. :( The only thing i can think of is maybe for some reason there is an interference with the magnet when it passes over that side of the motor. The coil location in question would be the one right by the carb., the one farthest from the carb. seems to produce a great spark.

Normally when I run into this one it turns out to be the spark on the top cyl. is leaking to ground, usually right at the connection where the wire goes into the coil. Check that small boot and make sure it is there. Also check the wire along it's routing and see if there are any cuts along it's length. finally, check the boot at the spark plug for cuts, etc. and then switch spark plugs and see what you get. While you're at it look at the plug.

I agree with Pappy. Sounds like you have a ground issue. One way to check and see if you have a break in the wires that you might not see easily is to crank it in the dark and look carefully for blue sparks all around those areas.

Double check all engine grounds, pop them off, clean them up and put them back, see if that changes anything.

Bufford