TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovush

Reaction score
Just swapped for a 1969 14 ft, Richline V bottom, 1966 Johnson 20 HP and a 1962 Homemade trailer. I know next to nothing about boats or motors so I need all the help I can get. The boat came with a couple trolling motors, an old Evinrude pressure tank and a newer fish finder. The motor hasn't run in a couple years but the owner said it ran fine then. I will be asking for a lot of advise from you guys here. I'll be posting pics soon.
What would the first thing to check with the motor? The motor looks to be in good condition, should I try to start it before any replacements? Where would I find a service manual for this particular motor? Thanks, Joe

First, replace the fuel tank with a modern plastic tank and new line/squeeze bulb. The old metal tanks are asking for trouble, and that motor should have a fuel pump, and thus does not use a two line pressure tank (are you sure it isn't just a steel regular style Evinrude tank?). Either way, the steel tanks, especially of this age, are just asking for rust to get into the carb and clog things up (but if you want to use the steel tank, have rust clog up the carb you paid 200 bucks to get cleaned at the marina just 2 weeks ago, get pissed at the motor, and give it to me, you can do so - wouldn't be the first time it's happened :lol: ).

I would then go ahead and drain and refill the gear lube.

Replace the water pump impeller.

Rebuild the carb.

Check for spark. If none, you likely just need to clean and regap the points, as they can often slightly corrode while sitting idle (regapping them would be a good idea anyway). Replacing the plugs wouldn't hurt. Toss a squirt or two of TCW3 oil in the cyls. when you have the plugs out.

Hit a shot of grease in all the grease fittings and moving parts.

Drop it in a tank of water, and crank her up.

Thanks BassBoy,
The old tank is a dual line model the guy was using without a bulb, the tank seems to have a button that can be used to prime. I wasn't planning on using the tank but like you advised, replace with a new plastic model and line.
Just looking at some of the fine boats on this forum has me all pumped up wanting to mod this old boat. Thanks again.

Go ahead and list the two line tank for sale then. Because the older outboard guys need them, they still fetch a pretty good penny. I personally would rather convert an older motor to fuel pump, but a lot of guys would instead rather restore a 2 line tank to new condition.