Tilt/lock on Johnson 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovush

Reaction score
I'm a new member ( when will I not have to say that any more?) and recently got my first boat/motor. My question is, do you run the boat with the motor locked down or unlocked so it will tilt in case you hit an underwater obstruction? Man, I got some silly questions.

I always run mine in the un-locked position,even though it will over ride & come up in the locked position.I feel it is eaiser on the tilt.

I run mine unlock--in case I hit something. When you reverse motor sometimes it will kick the motor up. That's when you lock it.
Do not lock and think that the motor will hold when you are trailering. Lock will break.

Run it unlocked. My dad lost his 25 horse in the drink because he hit a solid tree with it locked. Motor pivoted off both clamps and into 20 feet of mud. Gone forever.

Thanks guys, I just didn't want to repeat what happened when I was a kid down in the swamps of Louisiana. Riding in the front seat of my uncles v bottom, hands on the gunnels, we hit a submerged log and went airborn. I landed on my aunt that was setting in mid seat. Unk stopped the boat to inspect damage but since the motor kicked up no damage was found. All these years I wondered if he had the motor unlocked and that's what saved her. I'll motor unlocked !!!