Fuel Mileage Averages

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkbre

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to what the average fuel mileage is for your motor? Right now I'm running a Suzuki 15hp 2 stroke with oil injection on a 16' v-hull. I'm really not sure how much fuel I use since I mostly use a trolling motor.

Anyhow, I'm looking at doing some longer runs out on saltwater and would like to know what you guys are averaging with what sized motor and boat? Or, is there a way to find out what a certain motor will use?

This is general rule of thumb.

0.1 gallon/hr per 1 hp at (WOT) wide open throttle

1.5 gallon/hr per 15hp at (WOT) wide open throttle

Now with the above statement being said, older motors tend to be a little more gas thirsty than the newer fuel injected motors.

Get to know your motor and boat regarding fuel consumption. If you are embarking upon a distant saltwater trip, then bring an extra supply of fuel and oil. Let someone know where you are going and have a means of communication (don't rely on your cell phone, but they can be helpful). Bring plenty of water in case you get stranded!

Good luck and eat a large piece of fried fish and drink a cold beer for me!!!

cajuncook1

cajuncook1 said:
Good luck and eat a large piece of fried fish and drink a cold beer for me!!!

cajuncook1

Thank you for that information. It does make sense. However, I'll be doing some crabbing so it'll have to be Dungeness and a cold beer.

On my 1976 Evinrude it gets about 7 to 8 miles a gallon.On my Merc 20 hp 1978 I get between 8 & 9.Yes the 20 gets better than the 15 on a 1240v.

wow.... those are some good numbers, I have never done the math, but my 9.8hp merc. can guzzle down 6 gallons in a short amount of time......course she's much older than I am :lol:

I do alot of boatin through the summer,winter & always run a GPS.Just recently I started to run my 20 & couldn't believe how much better on fuel it was.
Last year I went through 4 gallons of 2 cycle oil.

My 90 drinks it like it is going out of style at WOT. Back it off to about 80% and it probably doubles the mileage, if not more.

Found this link regarding hp, rpm and fuel consumption....very interesting and informative.

https://www.marineenginedigest.com/specialreports/fuelflowchart.htm

cajuncook1

Latest posts