Possible New Boat, but powered with EVENRUDE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I'm hesitating, but I think I'd rather have a Yamaha or Merc.

Anyone have any issues with Evinrude that I should be aware of. It's a 115hp factory jet with only 20 hours on it. Just had it's routine checkup. The guy just needs some money cause he's carrying a double mortgage until his old house sells. Why am I nervous about this??? [-o<

You need to give more info like the year and if its carbureted, EFI, Ficht, or ETEC.
Older Evinrudes were bullet proof but some of the later models (2000+) had problems.
You would probably have better luck posing this question at iboats since your dealing with a larger outboard.
The only thing I know is that your fuel bill is going to be BIG.

You're right. More info would be better. I haven't gone to see it yet so I don't know a lot. It is a 2002 with around 20 hours on it. As for my fuel bill, I'm spending a lot already when I'm on the rivers cause my 40hp jet (28 at pump) has to work really hard to get my heavy boat on top. With a bigger engine, I'm thinking that I won't have to work it nearly as hard to get it to plane. I'll post more later when I get more info. Thanks.

One of the biggest problems with the newer outboards is the oil injection. The pump will fail and burn up the motor.

Solution? Easy disconnect the oil injection pump and just mix oil in the fuel. After theat they are pretty much bullet proof again.

Take it to your local dealer and have them disconnect the OI pump.

Have been in the marine engine industry for over 34 years now. No longer working for a manufacturer and now working a few days a week at a local dealer. The dealer is full line BRP (the old OMC Johnson/Evinrude) and package dealer with Yamaha. They (we) are the factory recommended dealer in the area of Florida for both brands. I see no more issues with Johnson/Evinrude post 2000 engines than the other brand. Have they had issues? Yes, but updates have been performed and those customers are now enjoying the same good reliability they expect to have. All engines have gremlins from time to time! If the engine you are purchasing is a computerized engine a certified dealer can pull a history from that engine that will include any updates plus things like previous overheats, over-revving, and so on. Do your due dilligence and make your decision! Better than listening to a fellow you ask that may come back and tell you that "Billy Bob's buddy done had one once and it was a piece of junk" BTW - the 115hp series of engine was and is a darned good one. Issues were mainly with the V6 series.

That is good info and I have faith that you know what you are talking about.

Actually, just got this email with my answers. Here is the package info:
2002 Weldcraft 17 foot Aluminum boat is 1756V. The 1999 Evinrude Motor Model Number is E115FPLEE JET. It is fuel injected and has Power Trim. It has lockable rod storage; a divided live well; storage area under seats, not lockable. 65 lb, thrust, 24V Trolling Motor with brand new foot control that I just paid $800 for and have paper work on. I installed 2 rod holders. Has 2 Lowrance Fish Finders. It has a burgundy custom cover. Apparently it only has 20 hours on it.

However...to throw another wrench into the decision making....I found another possibility today. It is a little more boat than I was thinking I'd get, but it's really loaded for fishing and fun and quite tempting too. It is a newer boat and motor too and not that much more expensive. Just not sure if it's worth the extra money. Here are the specs for this one.

2008 Alweld 1756 JC with 2000 Mercury 225 JET Promax EFI (I didn't ask, but I'm sure it would have power trim)
24V Trolling w/ 3 battery system, lockable rod storage, custom cover, dual live well front and rear with circulation between the two (never heard of that), rod holders and 2 fish finders (not sure of brand or models) this boat (not the motor) has only been out about 10 times and has been owned by a 70 year old man that simply wants something smaller that he can handle.

Funny thing, I asked how skinny the Mercury will run and the guy replied that if I have the guts to pull the trigger on it, it will just about run on damp mud. Now that made me laugh.

I'll be going to see both of these boats this weekend and hopefully bringing one home. I won't be able to sleep until I see them...and still not again until I make a decision. I'm NOT complaining though.

So...what do you think now?

Latest posts