Input on a 40 HP Mercury Serial # 4362569

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WISHBONE

Reaction score
Ok everybody, so the bass boat that I rebuilt from the ground up is 90% complete. We took it out on the lake this past weekend and I was happy with everything except one crucial problem. The motor just could not handle the weight of the boat gear and family. We could only get up to 10 mph tops and we moved trim around, gear and people in different locations. We never got up on plane for sure. So it looks like I am going to have to purchase a motor ASAP to get the boat the way I want it to be. I was looking around and talked to a couple of different people about what size to get.

So I came across this 40 HP Mercury which is definately in the same time frame as my 18 Fastwin Evinrude.

My questions are this,

After going on the parts site and looking up what I can get for this motor, is there anything that I should be truly concerned with?

Where there componets that were proned to break?

The motor ran fine 10 years ago when he took it off his fiberglass boat and put it covered in a shade until now. I was thinking of rebuilding the carb for sure and replacing all fuel line hoses as well, any input?

Also all of the wiring has seen much better days and is cracked and rusted in spots, was thinking of replacing all of the wireds and most probably the coil packs and other electronical pieces, what do you think about that?

Now the motor does not come with any of the stearing componets nor does it come with the gear selector or throttle cables. My thoughts were I could easily build a system to work for the motor and use a throttle kit which is something I really wanted to do but still drive the motor via tiller, so what do you guys think, is this worth getting for $200, and is it a great motor?